Chapter 25: Broken

Start from the beginning

Through my tears, I hold my head and smile. "Annika, are you there? Please respond. H-he did it again, didn't he?." I pressed my lips together to hide my sobs.

"Annika, please send me your address so I can pick you up and give this fucker a piece of my mind."

"No, Ruby, it'll make the situation worse. I'll be there shortly; just send me the location and I'll meet you there."

"Annika-" 

"Please," She sighs and agrees to text the address to me. I stand up carefully, taking care not to injure myself further as I make my way to the restroom. I change my clothes, after cleaning the blood off my nose and the side of my lips, I used concealer to disguise the bruising on my face. Wrapping my wrist in white bandages, before applying cream on it. This has become a normal routine for me this past month. 

Wiping my tears away from my cheeks, I conceal my neck. I check myself in the mirror one more time, making sure the bruises are covered. When it first started, I considered informing my father, but I kept it to myself since Liam had threatened me. All I see in the mirror is a young girl trying to make it in this brutal world. 

I jumped in a cab as I called Mitchell to inform her I couldn't make it today. I don't have control over my life, but I do have power over the decisions I make, and if talking to those in need and helping them out is all it takes to make them happy or improve their lives, then that's what I'd do regardless of my circumstances.

When I arrived at the location Ruby had given me, it was a large building surrounded by many other expensive high-rise buildings in the city. I went in through the main door, it was luxurious and beautiful. When I finally spotted Ruby, she came up to me and hugged me tightly. "Are you ok" I pull away, smiling softly at her. 

"I'm ok," she shakes her head and before she could answer a lady walks up to us in a fancy suit, extending her hand to me. "Hello, my name is Maria and I work as an assistant manager in this organisation. A woman called Mitchell had contacted us regarding your past. My colleagues and I were really moved by what occurred, and we contacted Ruby when Mitchell provided us with her phone number," smile. 

"Thank you. I'm Annika."

"I apologise for putting you in the position, but we need you to deliver a speech in a few minutes. This speech is extremely important since many prominent businessmen will be in attendance. All we need you to do is persuade them to donate to this organisation." 

Annika, you can do this. 

"That's not a problem," I say with a nod. People with cameras were waiting outside the entrance for what I believe to be the renowned businessmen. Maria thanked me and Ruby before leading us. 

"One of my crew members will come and collect you in a few minutes, please be prepared," she says as she walks away, smiling.

Ruby helps me write my speech since I'm anxious and feel like I'm about to pass out. I'm frightened, but I know I'll be ok. This is a really last-minute request. I know I'm capable of doing it for myself and those innocent women and children.

When I go back to that prison, I know what I'm going to face. I'll go through the pain, suffering, and torture if it means making a difference in the lives of even one child.

"We are ready when you are," I nod, giving one final hug to Ruby before following the person to the stage. 

"Don't be alarmed; simply set the papers you're reading on the stand. You've got this. Remember, these men may appear frightening, but they are important, and if you make a mistake, it will be publicised, so don't make an error."