Chapter 1

Adrien

     He perched high on the edge of the building, looking over the beautiful city of Paris. He always thought paris looked better at night. With it's twinkling lights and quieter streets. The sounds of a bustling city replaced at night by... sobbing? He listened harder, confirming that it was in fact someone crying. Crying hard enough to be in danger of an acuma attack. Extending his baton into the street below, he moved to another rooftop, a familiar bakery coming into view. He could see the silhouette of someone standing on the roof, holding on to the rail as if their life depended on it. That was Marinette's roof. Squinting, he could tell it was her. He hadn't seen her cry like that before. It was a heart breaking sight, and the sound was even worse. She was fighting to breathe through the tears. Extending his baton once more, he vaulted over her, landing behind her with a soft thud. She didn't look back and he noticed her move her hands to her face, presumably to wipe away her tears.

   "Hey Chat Noir. How goes patrol?"

    Her voice cracked with each word, setting his hair on end.

   "It's alright."

    He whispered, moving next to her and looking up at the sky.

    "What's wrong Marinette?"

    He turned to face her, and as if on instinct, she turned her face away from him, trying to hide that she had been crying.

    "Why would anything be wrong?"

    She tried to make her voice sound nonchalant, but he could still hear it waver. He frowned, shuffling closer. He wasn't the best at calming someone who was upset.

    "I saw you crying Mari. You can talk to me."

    She sighed, turning her gaze back to the view. He could only see the side of her face, but tears were still evident on her cheeks.

    "I'm just tired kitty. No need to worry."

    She offered him a cheeky smile, but he could tell it wasn't sincere.

    "Is this about that boy?"

    Her eyebrows shot up in suprise, it had been years ago she had confided in him about that boy.

    "I'm suprised you remember that."
    "Cats have a really good memory."

    She smiled at that, and he felt a little of his worry fade.

    "Some of it is. I got another rejection letter today."

    She was already applying for colleges? Their senior year was coming to an end, but still. Guilt pricked at his insides. He hadn't even thought about college. He wasn't ready for his life to get going yet. He liked things as they were, all of his friends together in one place. He wanted more time. Realizing he hadn't said anything, he cleared his throat.

    "Is that all?"

    She sighed, and it seemed like she didn't want to answer.

    "There's always just so much weight on my shoulders. So much responsibility. I'm starting to lose faith in my ability to carry it all."

    She admitted, sounding a little bitter. He frowned at her, turning to face her completely.

    "You're so much stronger than you give yourself credit for. How long have you felt like this?"

    She smiled, but it was poorly hiding a grimace.

    "Too long."

    She murmered, placing her hands back on the railing. He didn't miss how white her knuckles grew from the grip she held.