Chapter 12 - Reunion

Start from the beginning

"(f/n)!" I heard a muffled voice. "(f/n)!" His voice became clearer and I identified it as Finnick's. 

My eyes and lungs were burning from the salty water. 

Finnick jumped into the water and helped me outside. More or less he had to drag me out as my body was defying me. He carried me bridal style along the beach. 

"Is she okay?" I recognized Katniss' worried voice. 

"I hope so. Otherwise Johanna might kill me if we will be united", Finnick replied. "(f/n)? Was Johanna with you? Do you know whom the cannon sound belonged to?", Finnick asked me anxiously. 

Cannon sound? I had not even noticed it. 

I tried answering but instead broke into a coughing fit. 

So Johanna was not with them. I was relieved that Katniss and Finnick seemed to be alright but concerned about Johanna. I had expected her to ally with Finnick. 

Gingerly Finnick sat me down onto the wet sand. The dizziness I felt was overwhelming. 

"Here. Take some water", Peeta offered and helped me drink from a cup like thing, probably Finnick's doing. He was really skilled at creating things with ropes. 

"Thanks." I gave Peeta a smile when the cup was empty. "How did you get the water?", I wondered. 

"Haymitch sent us a spile to get water out of the trees", Katniss explained. 

"Maybe I should have tried harder with the sponsors after all", I joked making the others smile slightly. "I think the cannon sound belonged to the female tribute of district 5. She tried escaping the wave", I enlightened the others. 

"I don't understand how you survived it. Even experienced swimmers die from such a wave", Finnick declared and that had to mean something. 

"Luck. I was tied to a tree. Why doesn't matter." 

"What happened to your shoes?", Peeta noted. He was pretty good at observing. 

"Lost them in quicksand inside the jungle. You don't have anything for treating burn wounds by any chance, do you?" 

The others shook their heads. 

My wounds hurt even more after the confrontation with the salt water. 

Carefully I slipped out of my socks making Katniss gasp. "You should clean them", she advised me and Finnick immediately set off to get more water. 

I cleaned my feet and legs and also my clothes before pulling the trouser legs back down and the socks back on. 

"Thanks", I sighed relieved. I had hurried from one trap of the arena into the next. I felt utterly exhausted, to say the least. 

"Feel free to rest", Katniss assured me. 

"But at first, you should eat something", Finnick interjected handing me a fish. 

I smiled at their caring attitude. It felt great to have people to rely on after fighting alone for the last days.

I woke up to Finnick's voice: "Johanna!" 

That made me jolt upwards and jump onto my feet. 

For a short moment I hesitated to examine the situation. It did seem real, not like a dream or the jabberjays. 

I quickly followed Finnick toward the other people in front of us. 

"Finnick!", Johanna called back. "Have you seen (f/n)?", I heard Johanna ask as I approached them.