Chapter 4 [Saved By Danger]

She started to run and the men continued to follow her, there were no people to ask for help for, and even if there were, they wouldn't help a person like her. She knows her reputation in the town. She ran as fast as she could on her heels, listening to them make a lot of noise, but the noise stops as soon as the man grabs her. A squeak escapes her throat, and the man who's holding her presses the knife against her throat. "You really thought you could snitch on us?" The lady was filled with fear. "We trusted you, yet you snitch on us, so now you pay for it." She didn't try to escape, that would only hurt her. "Pay with what?" She asked and the man put a little pressure on the knife. "With death." She started to shake out of fear. "No please, I already have mr. Dolsey on my bad side and now you two as well?" The man chuckled and took the knife away from her throat. "Alright then." She thought she saved herself but the man pushes her to the ground and keeps her pinned down. "I guess we'll do it instead of him." He places the knife a little further from her throat, so she could see the blade. "See this? That's going in your fucking neck." He lifts the knife and gets ready to stab, but a nearby gunshot distracted the man from his goal.

He looks behind him and sees Oscar dead on the floor, he turns around to see who shot the bullet, as he gets one right between his eyes, and drops on the ground. The lady is scared of death more than ever, she looks at the man behind the gun, only to see the face of mr. Dolsey. She quickly gets up and hands him the bag with the documents. "I'm so sorry I'm late!" He says nothing and just looks at the dead bodies. The lady hugs mr. Dolsey. He looks at her confused. "You're not mad at me, are you?" she asked and the man shook his head. "No, only disappointed." She looked up at him. "In what?" He didn't hug her back, he just looked at her and then back at the dead bodies. "In myself, I should've said to bring them back tomorrow, so you wouldn't have to go out at night and get nearly killed." He turned silent for a moment before finishing his sentence. "And so I wouldn't have to kill those men in front of you." The girl smiles. "Don't worry, you only get more crimes above your head, and I will just have a few nightmares about this." She can hear him sigh in relief. 

She lets go of the hug and walks away. "Alright, well you have the documents and I better go home now." He walks to the bodies. "Bye." He says and the lady walks away, but stops as soon as she hears the man again. "Uhm." She turns around. "Would you ever like to get a drink with me again? Although you've seen what I've done?" He asks and she nods her head rapidly while smiling. "Alright uhm.. What's your name?" It takes her a while to answer. "Verity Burton." The man smiled. "You probably already know my last name, but my full name is Darton Dolsey." She nods. "And I will remember that, so I'll...See you tomorrow." She says and walks away. The man watches her leave with a smile on his face. He started to feel like her presence wasn't that bothering anymore. He felt a way towards that girl, he couldn't describe the feeling in words, but he didn't care because the feeling made him feel good. Though the good feeling made him smile, he felt another feeling that didn't feel so good. He doesn't know why, but he hated to see her walk away from him, he wanted her near him every second. He sighed deeply, then looked at the bodies, he kicked one of them in the stomach. "Bastards." 

The girl returned home and looked at her schedule, there were a lot of classes taking up her time because she skipped the last few today. She could go during her break. So she scheduled that in there and changed into her sleeping clothes. Two knocks on the door, were followed by the door opening. Verity looked at the door, a male figure stood in the doorway. It was her father, he looked at her smiling. "Hey, I heard you skipped a few classes, are you okay?" He asked and she nodded. "Yeah, I just miss spending time with you now that you're so busy, can I know what you're so busy with?" she asks and he nods, Verity gets in bed and her father sits and the end of it. "I'm currently on the case of a man known as mr. Dolsey, he's a very dangerous criminal. He served in the Great War, but now lives his life, being drunk, smoking and doing thug stuff." Verity listened, he was talking about the man who saved her. "Sad folk, those in the town, always drunk or smoking." He chuckled and then said goodnight to her. Verity just ignored what he said and says goodnight back. Her father leaves the room and closes the door behind him. She thought about him, and what would've happened if he wasn't there to save her. Not much later she falls asleep.