Chapter Eight

Danielle makes me sit down on a chair. The wooden table where we eat is in front of me. Earth things are laid down in front of me. Danielle sits beside me.

“This,” She picks up the metal object with a small shallow bowl & a metal handle. “Is a spoon. You use it to eat soup. A soup is a liquid food with pieces of vegetables or meat in it. But not all liquids are soups. For instance,”

She stands up & gets a glass tumbler. She opens the big, black, box container & gets a glass container with a handle & a spout. She pours its clear liquid content into the glass tumbler. Small droplets of water start to form outside the tumbler. She makes her way back to me, glass tumbler in hand. She holds it in front of my face.

“This is water. It’s edible & a liquid like soup but you don’t spoon it. Instead, you drink it. You put your mouth on the rim of the glass & raise the glass. You have to open your mouth for the liquid to enter then you swallow it.” She gives me the glass. “Give it a try.”

I hold the glass. It is cold & wet. I bring it closer to my mouth & drink it. The water is cold & very refreshing. It feels good as it slides down my throat. I do not notice that I almost drink half of it. Danielle continues to teach me about Earth things. I have learned to use a fork, knife & a table napkin. She teaches me about the black monitor on the wall. It is actually called a TV. It is entertaining to use & time passes by when you use it without you knowing it. She teaches me music, too.

“Harry isn’t actually in here.” She holds her phone in front of me & laughs. “It’s just a song that they sang. They’re a band & they record songs. Their songs can be bought so we can listen to it.”

“Really? That is so amazing!” I say in amazement. Earth is not so bad after all.

She, then, tows me to my room. She makes me sit on the foam & she starts to get out some of my garments. She introduces the skirt. A bottom that can either be above the knee or floor sweeping. It can be plain-colored or with patterns printed on it. She shows me two different skirts—one, an above the knee, puffy, pink skirt with a black hem & the other one, an electric blue, tight-fitting, above the knee skirt with gold buttons. It both looks pretty. She gets a cream-colored tank top with a red flower on its right. She holds it against the floral skirt. I nod my head absentmindedly. It looks good together. She then rummages through my shoes. She gets out my cream-colored shoes with the bow & pairs it with the floral skirt & cream top. It is fabulous! Danielle has a sense of style. She then goes to finish the blue skirt with a black, collared top & cream high heels.

To be honest, I prefer the first outfit. I find the blue skirt on the second outfit too short & the heels too high.

She then introduces me the “pants”. Pants are an outer garment covering each leg separately. It goes from the waist to the ankles. She introduces me two pants—one is dark blue with a firm, durable cloth & the other a light blue colored one. She pairs the dark blue with a flowy, white top & white flats. On the second pants, she pairs it with a cropped, yellow top & pink flats. I think I am going to love dressing up.

In the end, I learned about blazers, vests, dresses, jumpsuits & sweaters. It is so fun. This is my favorite part, so far. I will still need Danielle’s guidance but I am sure I will learn eventually.

“So, what is next?” I ask eagerly, rocking my feet while sitting on the edge of the bed.

She plops down beside me & starts tapping her chin with her white-tipped nails, thinking. After a while, she shrugs. “I don’t know. You tell me.”

I look around the room. What else? I snap my fingers. “How about the slim, white, rectangular device you have? The one that gives off a sound & you talk to.”