Chapter 45

When we got back to Alexandria I groaned as Dad grabbed me putting me over his shoulder. Daryl walked behind us banging on Denises door to get her ready.

I sighed as I was put down. "The only thing I can do for you is stitches. Your rib just needs a few days, it's going to hurt but you'll be fine, I know you, I know your brother, you two are always fine." I nodded as she prepared the stitch. Dad sat down beside me holding out his hand, "ready Leah girl." I took a deep breath grabbing his hand. She poked the needle through and I squeezed my eyes closed until the very last stitch. "You're good sweetheart." I touched my face lightly, holding my stomach as I sat up. "I know you're not gonna listen but you should really rest." I grabbed Dads arm to stand up, "I'll do my best." Denise smiled, "I have painkillers take them twice a day." I grabbed the bottle, "thank you."

Dad and I walked home together, "that man do anything else to you?" I shook my head, "we did more damage to them then anything." He nodded opening our door, "Carl's being waiting for you." As soon as I had stepped in the house Carl was beside me, "I heard what happened." I put my arms around him holding on tightly. "I'm going out next, it's my turn." I smiled, "we're not taking turns getting hurt." He nodded, "there's been a pattern." Dad held his arm up, "you two aren't getting hurt, you're almost getting killed." I agreed, "I quit this game Carl." He laughed, "understood."

I lay down in my bed falling asleep almost instantly. The next day I was woken up by Carl. "Something happened Leah." I sat up wincing, "what?" Carl pulled our curtain open, "Denise. She was killed." My eyes widened , "what? Who killed her?" Carl shrugged, "Daryl apparently ran into the man who did it before." I got out of bed as I heard a motorcycle revving by the gate. Quickly I grabbed my sweater throwing it on running outside. I saw Glenn and Michonne getting into a van. "Wait for me." Glenn shook his head, "you're not coming, you need to rest." I shook my head, "I can't. I'll stay in the van I'll be quiet just let me come." He sighed waving me and Rosita in.

"Does your dad know you're with us?" Michonne asked. I shook my head, "tell him over the walkie once we're there." Rosita laughed, "you desperate for a fight or something?" I shook my head, "I'm desperate to make sure Daryls alright." She nodded, "aren't you in pain?" I shrugged, "the painkillers help."

Glenn pulled over at the railroad tracks and I jumped out. Right on the tracks I could see a pool of blood. "That's where she died." Rosita whispered. Michonne pulled a bush up, "he's here." Glenn nodded, "what way did Dwight run?" Rosita shrugged, "we should let him do this." Glenn scoffed, "maybe Daryls going to get himself killed, what way did he run?" She nodded in the direction and I pulled the gun I was given off my shoulder holding it close to me. Glenn and I walked a bit ahead of them. "Leah I meant to say sorry earlier, I shouldn't have made you guard the perimeter. That was me being selfish, me not wanting Maggie to be alone, I'm sorry you got hurt." I looked up at him, "you can't be sorry for something that's not your fault. I'm happy I was there, I'd rather it be me then Maggie or your baby." He put a hand on my shoulder, "you're a good kid Leah, one of the best ones I know." I gave him a small smile stopping short when an arrow went into the tree I was standing next to.

Rosita ripped it out, "watch the hell out asshole." Daryl scoffed, "I did, you shouldn't have come out here. And you Leah, you especially shouldn't have." Michonne shook her head, "no you shouldn't have left." Daryl pointed the arrow at us, "he took me out in that forest he put a gun to my head tied me up." Glenn sighed, "you saying this is your fault?" Daryl shook his head, "I know it's my fault." Glenn stepped forward, "who are you doing this for? She's gone man, we need to go home and figure this out. We need you so does everyone else. It's going to go wrong out here."

Daryl sighed, "I can't." Rosita stepped forward following him, "I can't either." I took a step to follow her, "Leah don't." Glen warned. I stepped forward giving him a small hug, "Denise helped me when no one else could. I can't."