I'm Pretty Sure My Parents Know That I'm Non-Binary

So I have a very big suspicion that my parents suspect that I'm non-binary, or that I'm a trans guy.

Here are the reasons why:

1) When Demi Lovato came out

On the day that Demi Lovato came out, I went to my dad's painting room (not as glamorous as it sounds; it's filled with Warhammer figures.) and asked him how old Demi Lovato was. He replied immediately. I asked him how he knew, and he said that he had seen the news.

Then, I said that it was strange because most people figure it out when they are younger (not strictly true, so I'm sorry about that...), and he said:

"ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME SOMETHING?"

2) Clothes shopping No.1

So my mum and I were online shopping, and I was saying no to every skirt, every dress, anything pink or purple, nothing super feminine, nothing with writing on it.

She was getting annoyed, so she said:

"DO YOU WANT TO DRESS LIKE [INSERT NAME OF TRANS FRIEND]? IS THAT WHAT IT IS?"

3) Drama Sitcom

So in drama at school, we had to write a sitcom. We wanted to make it diverse, so there was a non-binary lesbian called Ash, played by me.

A few days later (or maybe weeks, I don't know...), I was in a restaurant with my family. I was telling them about the sitcom and the characters. My parents asked me who I was playing, and I said Ash.

They said nothing, and exchanged a look with each other.

4) Clothes shopping No.2

This isn't a specific time, but it's a generalisation of the past — at least — five years of my life, when I always tried to get my clothes from the boys' section in shops, and my mum would always try to get me dressed and skirts.

I wore a lot of dresses and skirts when I was younger, but I stopped liking them, and there were a few years where I wore nothing except hoodies and jeans, or a t-shirt and shorts, with the occasional skort.

5) Haircuts

When I was 10, I started wanting my hair to be cut really short. I begged my mum, but she didn't let me until I was 12.

When she did let me get my hair cut short, everyone kept mistaking me for a boy, and she hated that. I didn't mind.

Then, the pandemic happened, and my hair grew out incredibly weirdly. We got it cut again after the rules relaxed, but he cut it so badly, and I didn't have a haircut for more than a year after that.

She wouldn't let me cut it short again because she didn't want people to think that I was a boy, and she was suspicious that I didn't mind.

6) Gender-neutral names

I had a big list of gender-neutral names written down on a post-it note in our study/office. Over online school, I was the only one who worked in there, so nobody ever saw it.

However, one day, I went into the room, having forgotten all about the list, when I saw that the post-it note had been taken off of the pad, and stuck on my table, which could have only been done by my dad.

I took the list with me when I left, but I'm sure that he noticed that it was gone.

7) Clothes shopping No.3

Yesterday (the date was 27/08/2021), we went clothes shopping. We were supposed to just be getting underwear (ö) but we saw these tops in the boys' section that we liked. My mum bought me and my brother matching tops.

She bought me something from the boys' section without saying anything.

***

Remember to drink lots of water and eat well today!!!