Chapter 11

“What the hell happened back there?” John asked, “You just fought them off like they were nothing”

“Adrenaline rush, and I'm an angry woman” I told him, hoping he would take that answer.

John shook his head for a moment and let out a sigh.

“You don't have to lie anymore, Lily. I know who you are” He said and my eyes went wide.

How could he possibly find out that I was Batgirl!?

“You're an underground fighter. It explains why you fought those men off like they were nothing and those self-defense class, you were in training” He said and I wanted laugh.

“An underground fighter, really?” I asked him as I tried to hold in my laugh.

I shook my head and laid my hand on his shoulder.

“I'm not an underground fighter, John. Bruce just taught me some moves so I could protect myself out here in Gotham. There is no underground fighting for me” I told him and removed my hand, “Now we have something important to discuss. That girl Penelope Winters, she's in danger. The Crow, who ever that is” I paused for a moment as I realized something.

The Crow, Scarecrow, Dr. Johnathan Crane was the judge for those un-rightful court sessions. I should had figured that out sooner! The stress of this whole city take over is wearing me down.

“Lily?” John asked looking at me with a slight worried face.

“Um, I just was lost in my thoughts for a moment, but um, Scarecrow, who is the judge for those awful court sessions is wanting to put Penelope on trial for being rich” I told him.

“That's not good” John said and I nodded, “We have to find her family. If they're alive”

I shook my head and frowned.

“John, it's too late to find them. When I was running from those men, I heard one of them mention that her parents have already been on trial. You know what that means” I told him and he nodded his head frowning.

“What are we going to do then? We can't send her out there to defend herself. She'll get killed” John said.

“She can stay here. It may be a tight squeeze, but we can make it work” I told him.

John let out a sigh and sat down on his bed. He laid his head onto his hand and began to rub his face. I sat down next to him.

“I guess we can try. If not then, I'll find some place safe where she can stay” John said looking at me.

I nodded and smiled slightly. I leaned forward and kissed his cheek.

“Thank you and you should take a nap. You look tired” I told him and stood up.

“I think I might just take one, and we orphans have to stick together” He said and I nodded smiling a little.

I walked out of the room and into the living room where Penelope was hugging her knees as Gordon tried to speak to her. She shook and stopped when she saw me enter the room.

“Um, Gordon, could you go make some tea for Penelope?” I asked him and he nodded leaving the living room.

I sat down on the couch next to the frightened girl, who was staring at me. I smiled at her.

“How are you, Penelope?” I asked her.

“You're her aren't you? You're Batgirl?” She asked in a whisper so no one could hear.