"Thanks. It's wolf."

He quickly turned and walked away before I had the chance to say anything more or even get his name.

-

"Well... if you can convince them to let you be a companion, make sure you write to me. I have to start heading back to Riften." Marcurio placed his hands onto his lap before standing and pulling me into a hug.

I walked with him out to the stables and watched as his horse and carriage drive away. I wasn't sure if Marcurio genuinely had no faith in me joining the companions, or if it was his naturally sarcastic self. Either way, I knew I had to prove his sorry ass wrong.

Tomorrow.

-

My stomach ached with anxiousness the next morning. I had made sure my robes were cleaned, and that my hair and such looked as natural as possible. I didn't want the Companions thinking I tried too hard or wasn't tough enough simply based on my looks.  I was behaving like a character in a romance novel, but I didn't care. I wanted to impress them. Posing in a nearby mirror, I was satisfied with how I looked and what I had planned on saying to everyone. I was ready to head out the door when a thought popped into my head.

What if they made me fight? What if they wanted me to "prove my worth"? 

I knew that while I was certainly capable of melting a poor sod's face off, I could barely pick up a greatsword. Nonetheless use it. Magic didn't require me to have muscles, other than my brain. I prayed to the divines that my overthinking would not jinx me.

Swinging my satchel over my shoulder, I shook the thoughts that clouded my brain. It was all or nothing as I walked past the marketplace, past the Gildergreen, and up the small set of stairs that led to the houseboat called Jorrvaskr. I still thought the place was butt ugly, but I had to keep that opinion to myself in case I actually got into the faction. 

The front wooden doors creaked with age as I tiptoed in. I was surprised I was not given rude glares upon entering. Instead, two of the companions continued to throw punches at each other. Spectators roared with laughter and cheers as they swung their morning cups of mead in the air. Such behavior would have made me cringe back in Cyrodiil, but Skyrim made me appreciate the drunken moments the Nords held so dearly.

A hand was placed onto my shoulder, and I jumped. A tall man, bald with an obvious bad eye glanced down at me. He looked mean but gave me a soft smile.

"You've been standing there for a while. I didn't recognize you so I figured you were fresh meat, but then I saw your robes. You here for the college? Pick up, delivery?"

I knew wearing my robes was a bad idea.

"No...I was actually here to join you all. I want to be a companion."

The bald man's brow twitched as he burst out in laughter. My face grew red, and Marcurio's voice echoed in my head.

"What did I say? I TOLD you. I hate to say it, but I really did tell you so. They don't want a mage."

He wiped a tear from his bad eye, which was a cloudy shade of white. I held back my own tears, which were for the opposite emotion. The man turned to say something to the others in the room. I noticed he had the same armor on as the dark-haired man that I had bumped into a while back. The others had stopped fighting at that point and were indeed staring me down. It was exactly as Marcurio predicted. One of the others, short and Dunmer, opened his mouth to say something. He was interrupted by the front doors slamming open.

-

FARKAS POV

"Tell this story you have about this woman complimenting MY  armor that YOU  borrowed again." Vilkas laughed and playfully pushed me. I wasn't laughing.