Part 22 - Lies

"Excuse me?" Loki asks as he turns to me, an unreadable expression on his face.

"You heard me; I'm the spy," I insist as I cross my arms.

"No, you are not the spy," Loki scoffs. "Why would he have the phone if you're the spy?"

"I blackmailed him into hiding the phone for me after I'd use it to contact SHIELD. He had no choice but to help me, and he wasn't aware of any of the information I was passing around on that device."

"But you said it yourself; you have no idea what any of our army activities are."

I hold up a finger. "Yes, but I happen to have many patients that do. I get them high on painkillers then ask them confidential information that they would never tell me in their right minds. After they've come down from the high, they have no memory of telling me anything. That's how I got my blackmail information out of this one," I lie as I motion to Nick, who is still shouting muffled protests into the gag.

Loki shakes his head as he stares at me speechlessly.

"You said it yourself; I was the only person on your list of suspects," I cross my arms. "And this explains my relationship with Natasha and my fighting skills."

A couple of pairs of arms grab me from behind, and I don't fight them as they take my guns and knives from my belt. I stare at Loki the whole time, his face in an unreadable expression of anger and shock.

One of the men walks towards Loki as the other men take my arms to ensure I don't try to get away (even though it's obvious that I'm not going to fight them). "Do you want her executed or interrogated, sir?" he asks.

Loki ignores him and continues to stare at me, his face devoid of emotion. I mirror his expression as I return his stare, having no clue what he's going to do.

"Sir?" the man asks again.

Loki holds our stare. "Give us some privacy."

"What about him?" the man asks, motioning to Nick.

"Take him to the medical wing."

"He's free to go?"

"After he is treated, send him away and tell him that if he comes back, he will be shot on sight."

"Yes, sir."

The men holding me release me as they go to pick Nick up, and they all leave within seconds, leaving me and Loki alone together.

"I know you're lying," Loki scoffs.

"I am not," I state.

"Why are you covering for him?"

"For who?"

"That man. Nick. You were talking to him while I was distracted."

"I was only asking him how he got caught and how much he told them."

Loki crosses his arms, seemingly thinking intently on his next question. After a minute, he finally speaks up. "How long have you been in a romantic relationship with Nick?"

I immediately begin laughing, and Loki shakes his head. "What's so funny?"

"Nick is gay," I deadpan. "That's the blackmail I used against him since he wasn't yet out to his comrades," I lie.

Loki sighs. "Listen, I'm going to release Nick, okay? Even if he was the spy, I am releasing him with a warning since he obviously means something to you."

"You're lying," I accuse as I cross my arms defensively.

"Okay, so let's say you are the spy. Am I supposed to believe that whatever this is between us was all fake?"