Part 17 - Newspaper

"So... you expect me to believe that you only got to second base?" Angela questions as she hands me a suture kit.

I roll my eyes as I take the scalpel. "I'd barely call it second base. I've gotten more handsy with strangers at the bar."

"From what I saw, I would've guessed that you made it to fourth base."

"Oh, please, you shouldn't have even seen what you saw," I scoff. "Did you really need to barge in on us like that?"

"Seeing the state of this guy, yeah," she retorts. "I attempted to remove the bullet and punctured some vital organ."

"You nicked his liver; there's a decent bit of blood, but he'll be fine."

She sighs defeatedly as I begin suturing his liver. She loosens her grip on the retractors and I huff in annoyance. "Retraction," I scold.

She rolls her eyes and tightens her grip again. We sit in silence for a few seconds as I suture the puncture in the man's liver before Angela speaks up. "Listen, I... I was just curious; are you actually catching feelings for Loki?"

I abruptly stop suturing the liver and turn to look up at her. "Of course not."

"Really?" she raises a brow mockingly. "Because you answered that kind of quickly, and considering how you've made out multiple times in the past few days-"

"No," I cut her off. "The mission is my priority, and I'm not foolish enough to allow my feelings to get in the way." I harshly cut my last suture and set the scissors on the tray.

She sends me a smug look, her face completely saying that she doesn't believe me. "If you say so."

"Angela! I'm not stupid; the man killed a huge portion of New York's population! Not to mention my absolute hatred for him," I remark as I remove the retractors.

"Oh, yes, the hatred was quite clear while you were letting him feel you up in a swimsuit."

"He was not feeling me up-"

"Second base," she interrupts.

"Barely!" I push the tray out of my way and back up. "You close up. I'm heading out."

"You're heading out? Where the hell are you going?"

"Anywhere but here," I retort as I grab the door handle. Before I can open it, it slams into my face and I stumble back.

"Ah, is Scarlett finally done getting nice and cozy with our favorite mass murderer?" Nick asks as he enters the room.

I shoot him a glare as I protectively hold my hand over my face where the door hit me. "Oh, I'm sorry, my bad for investing myself extra in the mission. It's not like the world as we know it is at risk or anything."

"She claims that she's not catching feelings," Angela states smugly as she reaches for a stapler.

"Oh, now that is bullshit," Nick chuckles.

I roll my eyes. "Come on now-" I notice Angela put a staple in the man and quickly scold her. "Angela! You have time to do sutures; suture him."

"I suck at sutures," she scoffs as she continues to staple him up.

"Yeah, and avoiding them is certainly going to make you better."

She rolls her eyes as she adds on a few more staples before throwing the staple gun off to the side. "Now that that's done, what is it that you came in for, Nick?"

"Oh, you know, checking in to make sure you didn't fuck things up, same old," he shrugs.

"Well, I personally think I am doing a magnificent job," I retort.