Part 3: Names I Like and Don't Think I Can Use in Stories

I have a ton of these, and I'm always adding more. I also have a bad habit of rating other people's character names in my head when I read them.

Enjoy part three of this series, and let me know how you feel about these.

Also, I'm noticing that I really have a thing for A and C names. It's interesting to see the patterns when it comes to names I like.

~*~

1. Cova.

Pronounced COVE-uh.

I saw a form of this as a name for some influencer's kid. I remember the full name was Nakova, with Kova as the nickname.

I am not sure about the full name, though it is all right. I also am really not into names that start with K, so that nickname spelling wasn't resonating with me.

So, I tried spelling it Cova and I really like that.

I wouldn't be able to get away with this one, firstly because I have so many C names for characters already. Also, with COVID going on, and them both sharing an opening sound, I'm thinking this would be the first association readers would make.

2. Markham.

I like this one a lot. I feel like it would work well for a guy in Victorian England, or a slightly futuristic Science Fiction plotline.

It's a pretty versatile name, and even with the silent H, I feel like it's easy to pronounce.

I already have a Marco, though, so this one can't quite slide through.

3. Apricity.

This one means a sunny day, or the color of warm sunbeams. I love this meaning. I also love the sounds in this one, and the spelling used to make those sounds.

It's a little out there, though. This one is an in-betweener; I could maybe use it, but there would have to be a definite intent and/or a specific genre for it to belong.

4. Levi.

I love this name. It's been around for ages. Guys in America have been given this name since at least the 1800's, and I see it being popular in the future. It fits any genre.

I also like the spelling and the simple but strong sound.

I had a really close friend with this name who died tragically, and because of this I don't think that I could ever personally use it for my characters.

5. Salem.

I actually like this name for a kid.

This is my primary reason for not using it on here. I'm not planning to have children for years, but I'm being mindful of which uncommon names I save for the future.

I also like the name Sailor, but the ending sound in Salem feels more uncommon and more pleasing to hear.

6. Franklin.

I don't see anything wrong with this one. Frank or Frankie makes a cool nickname, and it could fit characters across a lot of genres.

The sounds fit well together, and it makes sense as a name.

I grew up with a cartoon with the same name during the early to mid 2000's, though, so for me that's my immediate association. That cartoon annoyed me, so I have a little of that association sticking to the name.

7. Arizona.

People are going to look at this and think of the state, naturally. I'm sure that's where I originally heard it, but I actually realized it was a name because of Grey's Anatomy. I never saw it used as a character name before that, and now I really like it.

I like the phonetics of this one, too. I also appreciate the fact that, because it's a place name, most people can look at it and know how to say it.

It's another in-betweener for me; it's not widely used, but it's got several nickname options and could probably fit a character from most modern or futuristic genres.

8. Ewing.

This one is a bit unusual, but I feel like it could work under the right conditions. I feel like the spelling will confuse some people, though.

I also had a really terrible professor with a similarly spelled, but different, name. I'm on the fence about this one, but as of now I don't think it's something I can pull off in a story.

9. Ceyla.

Pronounced SEE-lah or like Kayla, depending on your dialect.

I like it said both ways. SEE-lah is more unique and whimsical, but I like the thought of also saying this spelling like Kayla.

I do think this is one that could confuse readers, though, because this is the least common spelling any way that you pronounce it.

10. Amethyst.

I also love Ames as a nickname.

I've liked Amethyst for years. I know what that color looks like, and it's one of my favorites. I also like the way the name is spelled. I know that's a common thread here, but I'm a sucker for sounds and spellings and it's the first thing I consider.

I also have an Amber, so this one is just too similar to work out.