Vamp Barbie Remembers

Elena's P.O.V

Drinks were flowing, burgers, sausages and bacon were sizzling away on the barbeque, and I was engrossed in a conversation with Mason and Tyler.

"So, Jenna was a wild party animal back in the day?" I asked, trying to picture Jenna really hammered and making out with Mason under the bleachers.

"Yep. Wilder than me. You name it, she did it. Of course, she grew out of the party mood, I need to mature a little bit more. So how's your drinking problem?" Mason asked me, casually making Tyler snort.

"Not a problem." I said, taking a sip from my cold beer.

"Elena Gilbert? Alcoholic? That's not true." Tyler laughed.

"Sure it is. I'm just calling it social drinking. It puts a much more positive spin on it." I joke.

"So seen much of the Salvatore's?" Mason asked, his voice lowering. Tyler tensed at the mention of them. I decided an inappropriate comment was needed to lighten the mood.

"Of course. I'm dating Stefan, who I see a lot of."

They burst out laughing, just when Jenna walked in from the back garden. She looked happy, and only put on a confused, put out look when she saw the guys shaking with laughter.

"Are you guys talking about me behind my back?" She jokingly accused.

"Been there, done that. We were laughing at Elena's guy humour." Mason chuckled.

"Guy humour? English please?" Jenna asked.

"Guy humour is basically the rude, sex related jokes you don't say in front of girls. However, Gilbert here is an exception as she makes a lot of these jokes when she's fuelled with a beer." Tyler explained.

"How much have you had to drink?" Jenna turned her attention to me, giving me a worried paternal look.

"Not enough me to be able to cope with that look. So chill out," The doorbell rang, and I knew who it'd be. I jumped up, already walking towards the door.

"I'll get it. That's probably Rose and Stefan."

I opened the door, big smile on my face for my boyfriend and best friend, when only one of them was there.

"Rose, enter if you wish. You can stand here and explain to me what you're doing here and where Stefan is." Rose sidestepped me, holding tight onto the apple pie in her hands.

"C'mon Elena. It's a barbeque for friends and I'm your friend. We could be more if you want to..." Damon trailed off, noticing the sharp look from me.

"Where's Stefan? You were supposed to be helping Katherine."

"Stefan didn't trust me enough to leave your friend alive, so he took over."

My mind raced. Stefan was in his big house, alone with his ex-girlfriend who wanted him back. I trusted Katherine though. She wouldn't do anything that would hurt me, because she wouldn't want to push me over the edge so I'd do something stupid.

"Fine. You've gained entry to the Gilbert household, but," I said, pushing him back slightly.

"You'd better be on your best behaviour, otherwise I won't let you come round here anymore."

"I like a woman who's assertive." Damon grinned down at me, his baby blue's sparkling.

"Oh yeah. No wonder you love me. Get in, so I can greet Owen and his girlfriend who are just walking up the path."

Damon stepped inside the house, but stood by my side. I welcomed Owen and his girlfriend with a warm smile as we shared that awkward, strangers hug.