chapter 1 | Stare at me

Monday, September 6th, 2021.

7:40 am.

'JUNGKOOK'S P.O.V'

I get out of my room after getting ready, and I hold my bag on one shoulder, grabbing the strap but looking at my phone. I get out of the building while answering the texts I received to join my friends.

Once I am outside, I put my phone back in my pocket and walk up to the three jerks who are already together. "Hey," I nudge my way to have some space in this circle, and they greet me. "Hey, finally. You're twenty minutes late, bro," Hojun mentions it.

"I know, I wanted to sleep a little more, I'm tired," I tell him the truth, and he chuckles. "Uh. Sleep is more important, I agree," he does not get upset as usual, knowing how I am. I take a peek at the time it is but look on my left at the sound of an annoying voice.

"Baby," Gayoon wraps her arms around my best friend, Minhyuk, her boyfriend. She kisses him, and I look away to not see this display of affection that I loath, but I fall upon someone I always see everywhere. I fix my eyes on her as she is staying quiet around her friends, not saying anything but listening to them. She turns her head at the wrong time, and we both make eye contact again.

We make eye contact like we do almost every day since this second semester started, the same way we used to do it before the summer vacation.

She maintains it, to my greatest pleasure, and I do not look away either but stare at her, and some seconds pass without me focusing on anything but her. I swear, she always gives me that look that asks me to not break the contact but keep staring, either to tease, or to flirt.

Her pretty eyes, those pretty eyes know how to get me. Then one she smiles, that is when I lose it.

"Hey," Hojun drifts my attention away from this girl, not wanting him to catch me staring at her. "Have you done the work Mister Han gave us last week?" the topic reminds me of how much I struggled this weekend because of him, and I nod. "I did. I don't want to fail or get a zero. You didn't?"

"I tried...but I couldn't," he does not even fear the consequences of his laziness, and I chuckle but do not judge. I know he has a hard time focusing on something for too long and being diligent.

"I'm gonna fail so hard, damn...but that's my fault," he expresses some despair to make me feel empathy, but I know this type of scene way too well, and I will not give in to him. "Yes, you will. I won't give you mine."

He does not hide his disappointment, feeling no shame. "Well...I tried."

•••

10:50 am.

I toy with my tongue piercing while listening to the teacher, peeking down at my laptop screen from time to time to take some notes while Hojun is watching some videos next to me and not even paying attention. I stick the top of my pen in my mouth and stretch, but I turn my head to the right and direct my eyes towards the girl with pretty eyes who tied her hair up, but I catch her already staring. She averts her eyes from me right away to pretend to be innocent, and I smile but run my fingers through my hair to focus back on the lesson.

"Dude," Hojun takes one earphone off, and he whispers to me. "Who are you always staring at like that? Do you have a secret girl or something?"

"No, just looking at random people," I lie and bite on my pen, my eyes remaining on the teacher even though I'm not interested in the lesson at all. "Uh uh. I'm pretty sure it's that girl who fell asleep the other day during art history class," he does not even get the right one, and I chuckle. "Nope."