120

champagne problems

#120

• • •

evermore by Taylor Swift | cover by Josh Rabenold

• • •

"Anak, Tokyo," Tokyo heard her mom entering the room. "Kumain ka muna." She said to her. She was currently on the bed, lying on it sideways. It has been a week since she rejected Reagan's proposal. A week since they last saw each other.

A week since he went back to the Philippines alone. Without her.

Hindi siya nagsalita at hinayaan lang ang Mama niyang lapitan siya. She felt her sitting on the edge of her bed, touching her leg. "Anak," she heard her sighing. "Kahit magmukmok ka pa diyan, wala pa ring mangyayari kung wala kang gagawin."

"Mama, I'm not ready to get married."

"You're not... but Riggy, he's already ready ever since."

Tokyo suddenly fell silent.

"Tokyo, anak, si Reagan, iba siya kaysa kay Thorn. We all seen and noticed that, kami mismo ng pamilya mo. He's far different from him and we all know that the first time we met him here in Japan."

"He's a good man," her mother added. "Remember 'nung una pa lang niya na-meet ang obaa-chan mo? He gave her flowers, Thorn del Prado never even done that to us." Her mother chuckled. "Ipinagluto niya pa tayo palagi ng pagkain 'non dito. He was fine with it. He was very thoughtful especially to us, mga senior citizens... but most especially, to you. Kahit noon, na walang kasiguraduhang mamahalin mo rin siya pabalik, he still did things so you could pass your law school. He made you better and healthy. For us, you parents, we're always forever be grateful to him. He loves you unconditionally and we couldn't ask for more."

"I know I am in not in your place to decide but Reagan already proved himself that he's better than Thorn and that he's better than your fears." Tokyo looked at her mother who was now giving her an assuring smile.

"He already proved that the moment he picked up your broken pieces when you were still a law student. He picked those broken pieces without even thinking the he could also get hurt from doing it. He didn't ask for any return because he's a good man and always will be."

Tokyo cried at his mother's words. Naramdaman naman niya ang pagyakap nito.

"Reagan is all our answered prayer for you."

• • •

Tokyo entered their house with a heavy heart. Kanina, kakauwi niya lang sa Pilipinas galing Japan. She stayed at her parents' house at first before returning to their home. And as what she expected, their house was dark and empty.

And maybe Reagan finally realized that he can't be happy with her.

She turned on the lights and scanned the surroundings. Her eyes then stopped at the new picture frame being displayed at the living room's wall. Her heart almost flustered when the picture being displayed was the photo of her and Reagan together with their two pet cats. It was like a family picture. Her eyes started to swell.