Chapter Four: Deal With The Devil

Bắt đầu từ đầu

He looks like he always does; like the devil himself. Well, a hot devil... He's wearing a black T-Shirt and dark faded jeans. His long legs are stretched before him and he has the same mischievous gleam in his dark eyes he's had since the day I met him. I look away before my looking could be called staring.

Anna looks like she just witnessed the birth of baby Jesus. Mouth agape, her blue eyes wide.

"What?" I ask, suddenly self conscious.

"You two– you two are... friends."

She says it like it's the most unbelivevable thing she's ever heard.

"Um... yeah?" I drag out. "What's the big deal?"

"The big deal?!" She practically screams at me.

" 'The big deal' is that kids like him aren't 'friends' with kids like us. It disturbes the circle of high school life." She points to Noah as she says him, then to the two of us as she says us.

I roll my eyes, she's being ridiculous. 
"Kids like him? Seriously? Who is he, the Pope?"

She sighs, "Look, all I'm saying is that Noah Xander, however long he's been here, isn't known for being friends with girls. Soon enough, he'll make you fall for him and he'll add the girl prefix to the title. But that'll last for a week, at most. And then he'll break your heart, and then I'll have to break his face," She sighs, her voice pleading, "Haven, don't make me break his pretty face." 

I laugh. Leave it to Anna to be paranoid. She's always been overprotective, and I love her for it. I get where she's coming from with this, though, but she has nothing to worry about. I know that boys like Noah aren't interested in girls like me.

"You have nothing to worry about, okay? We're friends. Nothing more.We'll never be more than that." 

My eyes are on hers, wanting and waiting for her to understand. When she nods and says, "Got it. Just friends," I turn to the teacher.

I steal a glance at Noah, whose face formes a perfect smile when his blue eyes meet mine. And for one second, I feel a strange longing for what could never be.

_______

At lunch, Anna and I are sitting in our usual spot in the cafeteria– the back. Only, this time we have an addition.

Alex.

From what I've seen so far, he seems really nice. It's obvious that he cares about Anna, and she is crazy about him, too. The accent doesn't hurt, either.

But, if he breaks her heart, accent or no accent, he is a dead man.

We're laughing at something Alex said, when a voice booms trough the cafeteria. A girl's voice trough the  speakers says,

"Hi, this is Kaylie with the morning announcements. But before I start, someone has requested a song for a girl."

All the girls in the cafeteria gasp and squeal. Since the Annual Hart Dance is near, I guess they are expecting a grand gesture as an invitation. Kaylie continues,

"Noah Xander requested a song for someone named Snow. He says it's Snow's favorite song because she can relate to it. Snow, whoever you are, enjoy."

What the eff?

Noah requested a song for me?

Before I can process what's going on, Kaylie adds,

"The song is Amnesia by 5 Seconds Of Summer."

That son of a bitch.