Shot 18

Was clearing the drafts and found this one, happy reading!
>>>>>>>>>

Avni stirred the spoon inside the cup of coffee she had prepared for Neil when she heard the washroom door opening and there was Neil, to her surprise, not in his uniform.

"Aren't you going to work today?" She asked, frowning. "No, I've taken a leave." He said, shrugging at her. Avni was left in a dilemma. She was taking cooking classes from Neela Ma everyday while Neil was at work so she could make something for both of them now that they had shifted to their apartment.

But if Neil was here, it wouldn't be right to leave him just like that because he had also undergone a transplant three weeks ago.

"Why though?" She asked, raising her eyes from the coffee mug and looked at him to find him already staring at her, a habit that annoyed her so much. And undeniably made her feel good too.

"To spend time with you." He said softly. The spoon touched the floor of the mug with a clank and Avni looked at him strangely. Spend time with her? True she wanted that but she never accepted it openly and even if Neil wanted to, he never said that out aloud either.

What was different about today then?

"Neela Ma said that we should talk, you know." He continued, walking up to her so that now the kitchen slab was the only thing between them. She watched as he picked up the mug and sipped from it.

"About what?" She asked, turning around and acting to engage herself in some kitchen chores. "Our marriage." He replied, clearing his throat. "Why today?" She asked. It had been almost half a year that they were in this relationship but what prompted him to talk about it after all those months?

"It's our 6 month anniversary today Avni." He said, unable to refrain the amusement and admiration in his voice. "Maybe we should talk about it. I mean neither of us wants to break it now so why not discuss how we would want it to be?" He continued, sitting on the slab so that now he had a proper view at her face.

"I suck at talking." She admitted nervously. Neil thought over it for a while and then said, "Maybe we can do things together today..."

Avni nodded. "I'll make breakfast for us and you-" Neil paused, deciding what task she should be given. "It's...it's our 6 month anniversary right?" She asked, fidgeting with her fingers. "C...can you...bake a cake?" Neil asked, hoping sincerely he had not asked for much.

Yes he wanted to celebrate this day with her, they had survived this marriage successfully till here, something which he had not expected initially. It would make her feel special too, he knew it.

"I can try." She replied softly. Neil nodded happily and turned on the stove, Avni beside him as she took out the ingredients. She fanned her face with her hand when the heat of the stove reached her and almost frustratingly poured sugar in the grinder.

"It's too hot. Why don't you change into something comfortable?" Neil asked, noticing her discomfort in that saree. "I brought only my sarees and night dresses here. The latter are in laundry, will dry by evening." She huffed, pouring the sugar in a bowl.

"Take this." Neil said, smirking and took off the shirt he was wearing. "Are you mental?" She asked, heat gushing to her cheeks. "Not the first time you'd be wearing it." He reminded her, shoving the shirt in her hands.

"Come on, it's just the two of us." He said, hiding the cupboard from her view so that the thought of taking another shirt out doesn't reach her mind. "I'll take another one then. You wear this back." She commanded.

"It's soft linen, the others are not." He lied, raising his eyebrows. "You dare laugh at me." She ordered, taking the shirt gingerly and went inside the washroom to change.

"See I'm not laughing." Neil said when she came and resumed her work. His side of the work finished quickly as he made poha for both of them. Contented with what he had made, he looked sideways to see Avni's struggling with the batter.

"This is so watery." She muttered to herself and tucked a strand of her long hair behind her ear, making him somewhat angry. Only he could do that, not even her. Seizing a rubber band from the dresser he stood behind her and pulled her hair backwards, softly.

Avni froze when his fingers touched her hair. "What are you doing?" She hissed, as he tried to roll them in a bun. "Helping you." He whispered back, struggling to make a good bun. Avni nodded but then stood on her toes to see herself in the mirror.

"This is ghastly!" She complained, seeing the way in which he was tying her hair. "I don't comb ladies hair for a living Avni!" He retorted, releasing her hair from the atrocious bun he had made and tried to make a new one.

"Tum rehne do." She snapped when he almost made her hair look like a bird's nest. "One last try." He said, exhaling sharply and grinned when he managed to tie her hair in a good enough way.

Neil then decided to help her with the chocolate icing by smudging a bit on her nose without her noticing. He was right behind her observing as she put the mould in the oven. She turned around after she had and bumped into his chest.

"Careful." He said, holding her arm to stop her from stumbling. "Why were you standing right behind me?" She asked. "I was just..." He started but discontinued when he realised they were standing too close to each other.

They often ended up like this but today...he couldn't control himself from doing what he did later. He loved her and he wanted her to know, he wanted to make her feel special.

He leant in, his face very close to hers. Her breathing became abnormal but she didn't move away. Not that she wanted to but Neil had now wrapped his arm around her waist, his fingers over the linen that blocked him from touching her skin.

He was sure he started the kiss. He felt his lips latching onto hers and staying there for a few minutes, feeling her finally. He retreated a little to whisper, "I love you."
"There are so many things that could go wrong"
"And so many right." He said, disregarding what she said.

"You kissed me." She stated, looking at him nervously. "I felt like...I'm sorry if-"
"Could you...do it again?" She almost pleaded, taking him by surprise but he obliged.

It was soft and blissful. Neil was sure nothing could match the satisfaction given by this moment...one hand on her back beneath the shirt and other on her cheeks...her hand on his chest and the other arm snaked around his neck, embracing him finally...

He was glad he stayed back today.