Always Fly Home

'Anything?!'

'Anything?!'

'Uhm... well, I need you to.. come get me.'

'What?!'

'Come get me, from the airport, please..' Maddy swallowed hard.

'What? Are you sure? What happened?'

'Nothing! It's just.. my heart, my head, my.. everything is here in Austin. I can't move again, my soul is pulling me to stay here. I made a pros and cons list again, sat on it. Thought about it, for the last hour and a half or so.... I'm meant to be here. Yes, the externship would've been good for my career, experience wise.. but that's kinda it. I'm not going to med school or anything! And Liz already said they're moving me to ER Nursing Director when she goes part-time before retirement in a few years.. that's my dream job!'

'I know it is. But Eddie? LA? You had this all worked out...'

'I know, and that's the bitch of it, telling him. But, for the first time in weeks Carlos, my head and my heart are working together, grounding me here. I'm not stressed..' Maddy said, with some sense of relief.

Carlos could hear that deep relief. 'Sheesh. That's so good. I was worried about you Mads.. but I know you're gonna be upset for a different reason..' he said.

'Yeah, I know. And I know he'll he pissed, but he'll come round. But first, I gotta tell the gang! Are you able to come get me?!'

'Already on my way babe!'

'Wow, you're amazing! Just Austin International— I'll be in the baggage claim! Just drive to the drop off and pick up area!'

'I will. Love you. See you soon..'

'Thanks babe! Love you too!' Maddy sighed a massive sigh and started her walk back to the other side of the airport to await the arrival of one of her knights in shining armor, Carlos Reyes.

Maddy was surprised he didn't give her a harder time about her decision, especially since he and TK were so on board with the whole thing. But in the end, they just wanted Maddy to be happy and enjoy life. What she didn't know, however, was that Carlos was secretly ecstatic that she decided to stay.

Maddy continued her walk towards the passenger pick up and drop off area, and as she did so, her mind was clear and her heart was full. She was balanced for the first time in weeks.

She was finally nearing the baggage claim and passenger pick up area, and her heart was.. happy.

She sat down on a bench just outside the entrance of the passenger drop off and pickup. Maddy smiled to herself as a light breeze ripped through the overpass. The sounds of people saying goodbye to their loved ones and families made Maddy sad— she had the hardest time saying goodbye to TK and Carlos, even just for this week she was planning on being gone for.

*beep beep*

"Carlos!"

"Hi Mads!"

Maddy ran into his arms and sighed, "I.. I just can't do it Carlos, I can't. I tried, I was here.. and I made a list, and tortured myself the last three hours trying to figure it out... and like I said, for the first time in weeks, I'm balanced.. my head and heart are together and I'm feeling good."

"It's okay Mads. I'm happy you're not stressed over it anymore.. but you didn't tell us that you were legitimately stressed about it this badly.. we thought you were just stalling.."

"I know.. I know. But I'm thinking clearly, and my heart and head are together for the first time in weeks.. I know where I'm supposed to be. Here."

"I'm not gonna lie to you, Maddy... I'm not upset that you're staying.." Carlos cleared his throat.

Maddy smiled and pulled him into a deep hug, burying her head in his chest, and taking in his smell. "I knew it!" She chuckled. Carlos grabbed her chin, and had her look up at him. "Hi C.."

"Hi beautiful!" He kissed her nose. "Wanna go to the station?"

"Yes please.."

"Man.. it's so pretty this time of year." Maddy said as she leaned her head on her shoulder as she looked out the window of Carlos's car. She absentmindedly reached over and started to rub Carlos's arm. Home. She felt it, she knew it. This was the right decision.

"You're so dramatic Mads," Carlos laughed. "You didn't even go anywhere.."

"Carlos Miguel Reyes.. let me have this." Maddy chuckled.

"Sorry sorry. I love you." He chuckled in return.

"Ugh, love you more!" Maddy smiled as she continued to rub his arm, and stare longingly out the window of his car.

It was about a 30 minute drive from the airport back to the station, and Maddy couldn't have been more excited. Yes, she was being dramatic, but she didn't care. Her body was one with itself, and she felt calm.

"Almost there."

"Yay! I don't even know what I'm gonna say to them.. they all expect me to be on the plane already.."

"Did you tell any of them you aren't leaving?"

"Nope.. not even TK. You were the first and only call I made.."

"Well I'm honored." He chuckled with a smirk.
————————————————————————
"Do you need me to go along?"

"Nah, don't you have shift soon?"

"I do.."

"Then I'm cool.." Maddy said as she reached for Carlos's hand. "It's just the guys. Thank you so much Carlos, as always." She winked at him before getting out of his car, and heading towards the firehouse.

Maddy walked down the street, dragging her bag behind her, while her backpack was loosely hitched to her shoulders. She had a slight pep to her step as she wandered down the bright street towards the firehouse.

The sounds of her people filled the air and she knew they were all together. Maddy's smile grew as she got closer and closer to her people.

She got to the station doors and stood, and just looked into the massive garage before inching closer to the inside of the station.

"Hey guys..."