Chapter 28

It was evening already. Drisana still hadn't met Shikhandini since her arrival this morning. She had gone to bed for taking a nap and rose just a little before sunset. She felt exhausted after the journey. Now as she got ready for the function Maharaj Drupad had arranged for all the guests, in honour of the two families and their alliance, she was lost in thoughts. The day after tomorrow was the wedding and she still wasn't sure about the consequences. But bhrata Krishna had assured her at Kashi, not to worry about the consequences, right?

But she couldn't help but think. It was the question of her brother's life. If anything happened to Daiwik, she wouldn't be able to forgive herself. And even if they succeed, there was no guarantee Shikhandini would accept Dridhaksh. That woman was too absorbed in her hatred for Pitamah Bheesmh and her love for her father. Honestly, Drisana was never a fan of Devi Amba. And her this reincarnation hadn't impressed her either. She had been severely disappointed and irritated when she heard the news of her decision of becoming male. Not only because that posed a risk to her plans, but also because she never cared or thought of Dridhaksh. Did her brother mean so little to her?

Still Drisana was ready to keep aside her dislike for the woman and give her a chance for Dridhakshs' sake. And if Shikhandini mended her ways, there would be no reason for Drisana to dislike her.

"Rajkumari? The anklets?" Drisana came out of her thoughts hearing the voice of one dasi. She glanced down at her feet. It was another one of her favourite pairs given by Nakul. The speciality of it was, it was light-weighted and didn't have any bells. And it matched her attire too. But Nakul didn't like it much. He loved to hear the sound of her anklets.

"Change it too." She replied with a smile. She got up after and gave a last glance on the mirror to see if everything was at place. The red and green threaded bangles with small gold beads attached had been a gift from Subhadra. Unsurprisingly, she had brought a large number of bangles of every colour and kind to gift her sister-in-laws when she visited Indraprasth.

The dasis left as Nakul came inside the chamber

"How do I look?" Nakul asked checking himself on the mirror.

Drisana arched one brow looking at him from head to toe.

"Not good. Your crown is leaning sideways. This orange dhoti and yellow Angavastra is not a good combination. And your mekhala (the belt used to tie paridhaya and dhoti) also looks weird. Have you tied it properly? And your face---- Did you not get enough rest? Your eyes look tired. And this updhana (footwear) looks a little faded too." Drisana said with concern.

"What!!!!!" Nakul gasped in horror and he looked visibly scandalised. He immediately checked himself thoroughly on the mirror.

"You still are the most handsome man to me, my Vaiyd Ji." Drisana said smiling sympathetically.

Nakul turned to look at her, then stared at his reflection again. A few moments later, a frown slowly appeared on his face realising Drisana was only teasing him. He slowly turned towards her again. But before he could say or do anything, Drisana warned him.