Chapter 23 | Fake Family

*second person p.o.v.*

Inosuke landed the final cut to the demon, slicing it in half. While Tanjiro was congratulating Inosuke, Inosuke suddenly ran at Tanjiro. "Anything you guys can do, i can do too, dumbass!" Inosuke hugged Tanjiro and threw him up in the air.

"Good luck, Tanjiro!" You waved. "Will do, big sis!" Tanjiro shouted. "You're his big sister?" Inosuke asked. "You... you didn't know?" You asked nervously.

"Why the hell would i know?! You're always wearing a mask!" He pointed an accusing finger at you. "But i already showed you my face." You tilted your head in confusion.

"Whatever, you don't even look like Manjiro!" Inosuke retorted. "I -you know what, nevermind, Inosuke. Nevermind." You sighed and looked in the direction where Tanjiro was thrown to see him running over. "My name is Tanjiro, not Manjiro!" Tanjiro corrected.

"Did you get 'em?" Inosuke asked. "Are you all right, Inosuke?" Tanjiro asked. "I asked you whether you defeated them or not!" Inosuke said. "Uh, yeah, i did!" Tanjiro replied. "But anyway, how are you feeling?" Tanjiro asked again.

"Don't go showering me with your sensitivity and kindness! Y'hear me? Got that? Anything either of you can do, i can do too, after all! Before you know it, my head will be harder than both of yours! And not to mention.... to mention.... um...." You looked at Inosuke's wounds.

"Inosuke, your wounds must be pretty severe. Look how much blood is pouring out of it." You said. You and Tanjiro started to try and tend to Inosuke's wounds, but he wouldn't let you. "Stay still, Inosuke!" Tanjiro said. "Cut that out! I don't need that! I'm totally fine!" Inosuke protested.

He finally pulled his arm away, which made Tanjiro look at Inosuke with fear, and you sigh. You all continued to walk, when a sudden, loud boom was heard. "What was that sound? Was that a lightning strike?" Tanjiro asked, turning to the directoom of the loud noise.

"How should i know?" Inosuke said, not even bothering to turn to the direction of the noise. "But i'm not smelling any thunderclouds. The acrid odor in the air is stronger now, so i can't really tell." You replied to Tanjiro's question.

Tanjiro nodded in understandment. "Inosuke! I think me and Tanjiro'll go this way." You informed, pointing in that direction. "Go ahead and do whatever you want!" Inosuke retorted. "Are you descending, Inosuke? Are you going down the mountain?" Tanjiro asked.

"Why would i? Just beat it!" Inosuke snapped. "No, no, i'm just wondering because you're severely wounded." Tanjiro replied. "I am not wounded at all!" Inosuke said. "N-n-no, Inosuke! Anyone could see your injuries!" Tanjiro argued. That's when you heard footsteps.

You saw a little demon girl standing there. "I'm gonna tear you to shreads, you damn demon!" Inosuke declared. The demon then turned back around and started running away. "Come back here!" Inosuke hopped on the rocks in the river, making his way to the girl.

"Inosuke!" Tanjiro yelled. "Father!" The little girl shouted. "Who are you calling 'father'?" Inosuke asked, suddenly stopping when a large, muscular demon jumped down. "Inosuke!" You shouted. Inosuke flipped back in time to dodge the demon.

"Don't touch my family! Stay away!" You all were flung back as the 'father' demon slammed his fists into the rocks in the river. The impact had your mask fall slightly, revealing the upper half of your face. You caught they eye of the girl and glared.

Your deadly aura was released once again, and she could feel it. With a small gasp, she turned around and ran. You landed and fixed your mask. "I'm going after the girl." You announced. "Okay!" Tanjiro yelled from where he was. As you ran, you saw out of the corner of your eye a large fist.

You ducked and slid under his large body. "Don't touch my family!" He roared. Tanjiro took this chance to try and cut off his arm with the water wheel technique. Except, it didn't cut through. "It's not strong enough! The blade won't cut through!" Tanjiro said.

The demon was about to use his other fist but Inosuke stopped it with his swords. Before you could lend a hand, the demon yelled and you were all thrown back. You put your hand down in the water to try and keep you from sliding too far, and you ended up beside Tanjiro who was on a large rock.

"Even our techniques can't cut through him! What should i do?" Tanjiro panicked. "Calm down, Tanjiro." You soothed, but the demon stomped towards you two again. "Stay away from my family! Stay away!" You grabbed Tanjiro's haori and pulled him with you as the large demon smashed the rocks into pieces.

You landed and helped Tanjiro stand. "Sorry about that." You said sheepishly. "That's fine-" Tanjiro was cut off. "What're you looking at?! I'm over here! Screw you!" Inosuke came down from the sky, but was punched away.

"Tanjiro, i'm going to the other side!" You yelled while crossing the river. Inosuke ran with the demon following him close behind. You ran and cut through a tree using the horizontal water wheel. 'That's good enough.' You thought.

The tree Tanjiro and you cut down started to fall, both landing atop of the father demon. "Inosuke! You okay?" Tanjiro asked. While Tanjiro said that, you were busy getting ready to cut through its neck. You ran towards the demon. 'Total concentration. Water breathing. Tenth form.' You were stopped midway when your sword collided with a tree trunk.

"W-watch out!" Inosuke shouted. He threw the tree trunk and flung you back. "Y/n!" Tanjiro shouted. "Tanjiro! Inosuke! Survive! Protect eachother until i get back! Survive! Don't die on me!" Your voice faded out as you got farther away.

As you neared the ground, you took our your sword. "Water breathing! Second form! Water wheel!" You raised your sword and brung it down with force, seeing water form around you vertically.

You stumbled and landed harshly against a tree trunk, a branch stabbing through your left thigh. Your hands quickly went to the wound, dropping your sword in the process. You didn't want to take out the branch, since not much blood was flowing out.

You didn't need to attract demons. You heard a sudden shout, that got closer to you. Tanjiro's body came crashing into yours. You groaned, feeling the branch twist slightly due to the added weight. "I'm so sorry, Y/n -wait. Are you... bleeding?" Tanjiro got up and looked around your body.

"Ah! Your leg!" He pointed. "I'm all right-" You were cut off by a scream. You and Tanjiro snapped your heads in the direction of the sound. "I beg of you! Please stop!" She sobbed. Tanjiro helped you up and slung your arm around his shoulder, helping you walk to the sounds of the cries.

You saw a demon girl crouched down with blood dripping from her face, the demon that was 'floating' earlier holding a web of threads in his hands. He was the one that abused her. "This isn't some show, you know." You and Tanjiro were caught.

___________________________________________________

(1200 words)