Chapter 2 | The Smell Of Blood

*second person p.o.v.*

"You be careful now." Mr. Saburo said. "Okay!" Tanjiro nodded. You bowed your head in thanks before walking off. A couple of minutes into your walk, you smelt blood.

You stopped in your tracks. "What is it, Y/n?" Tanjiro asked, stopping with you. "I... smell blood." You replied. "I don't smell it yet." Tanjiro said.

You grab his hand protectively, your face turning serious. "Tanjiro, stay close." Tanjiro did as ordered, stepping closer to his older sister.

You walked up the mountain cautiously, and fast. "I smell it now. Y/n, come on!" Tanjiro tugged on your arm and began to run towards your home, not caring how cold it was.

You finally got to your home, the smell of blood smelling as revolting as ever. Taking fast breaths of air, you look around frantically, spotting Nezuko and Rokuta, lying there in a pool of their own blood.

Red painted the snow beneath them. Were they... dead...? Tanjiro let out a scream, slipping off the basket he wore on his back and bolted to Nezuko as he followed you.

You sat next to Nezuko and Rokuta's bodies, your hands trembling as you touched their bodies. "Nezuko.... Rokuta..." You mumbled repeatedly under your breath.

"What's happening?! What's going on?!" Tanjiro yelled in distraught. Your eyes trailed the trail of blood that led into the house, your eyes widening at the sight.

You grabbed Tanjiro's hand and took a step into the house. "Mom....?" Tanjiro muttered. The sight made your heart stop and a scream rip through your throat.

There lay your mother and your siblings, all covered in blood with their eyes wide open. You grabbed Tanjiro's head and hugged him, making sure he didn't have to see the sight.

He shook and cried in your embrace, muttering the names of all your family members.

Your hand covered your nose and mouth as you couldn't bare to look at their bodies any longer, turning away and looking out side as you cried into your hand.

Then you saw Nezuko's finger twitch. "Tanjiro.... Tanjiro...! Tanjiro! Come on, i think Nezuko's still alive!" Tanjiro broke away from the hug, looking down at Nezuko with wide eyes.

You grab her hand, feeling the tiniest bit of warmth. You picked her up and put her on your back, grabbing Tanjiro's hand and running down the mountain.

"Nezuko's still warm! We need to get help, right away!" You stumbled and regained balance, not stopping once. You heard Tanjiro cry as his grip on your hand tightened.

"I'm sorry, Tanjiro." You whispered. "It wasn't your fault. We... we didn't know." Tanjiro stammered.

But even so... you still had a sense of guilt weigh down on you. A feeling bubbled at the pit of your stomach.

The both of you couldn't have ever predicted this outcome, but even so, as the eldest daughter of the Kamado family... you had to be the one to protect them.

Without the presence of your father, it was up to you to watch over them. Instead, you left for one night and came back to see them slaughtered. It was gruesome.

Images flashed through your mind. In a way, in a sense, this was your fault. Right?

You jumped over a tree that had fallen, making sure not to let go of Nezuko or let go of Tanjiro's hand.

Tanjiro panted from behind you. "I know. But we can do this. Even if we can't breathe, we have to make it. I won't let Nezuko die!" You cried.

Then Nezuko growled from behind you, her eyes white and her head hung back. "Y-Y/n! What's wrong with Nezuko?!" Tanjiro asked.