[chapter one] aires hale

Start from the beginning

Slowly, the girl's eyes softened at his words, taken back by his reply. Maybe it was the fact that she had skipped preschool, or maybe it was to do with the world she was raised in- whatever it was that had shaped her, she realised she would have to conceal in school, around other people.

Sink or swim.

She couldn't be who she was around people like the two boys, she would never survive it. Adapt or drown. They were her only two options. Resisting a roll of her eyes, she forced small smile onto her lips whilst training her eyes to stare into his honey brown ones.

Sink or swim.

Adapt or drown.

"Thank you." She replied sceptically whilst observing the boys.

The boy with the mop of brown hair on his head resembled a lost puppy, one too innocent, too pure, a boy clearly not from her world. He wasn't popular, didn't seem to have a large selection of friends and seemed to stick to the honey eyed boy.

As for him, something made Aires stomach flip as she attempted to analyse him. He wasn't the easiest to read- his intentions were unclear, his motives hidden. She had been trained to work out other people, what their intentions were with her, what they wanted to use her for. She had been trained and raised in a way that made her way too old for her age. She couldn't work out why he was looking at her the way he was. But then again, he was also five years old, what motives could he possibly have against her? Still, Aires refused to let her guard down, trouble always seemed to find her.

A grin on his lips, freckles scattered across his cheeks, big honey brown eyes. He was cute and strangely it seemed not many others had noticed. He wasn't with the large group of kids by the swings, he was quiet, nervous and constantly fidgeting. And he couldn't stop staring at her.

Something about the way he looked at her made her want to get to know him and his friend, because for whatever reason, she hadn't scared them off. And that was new. They hadn't run away from her, they hadn't avoided her when she sat down. They were sat with grins on their faces and willing to talk to her. 

They didn't see her as a monster.

"You should come play with us, we're lots of fun and we can be your new best friends!" The mop of brown haired boy suggested with a puppy dog grin across his lips.

With a slow nod of her head, Aires jumped off of the bench, walked around to the other side where she grabbed a hold of both boys' hands and began to drag them over to the sand box. A light blush spread across the paler boy's cheeks as a smile began to form on his lips, it was the first ever time he had held a girl's hand. And something about the blonde made him want to always hold her hand.

"Fine." She mumbled with a roll of her eyes. "I will be your friend. I'm Aires."

"I'm Scott."

"Scotty." Aires hummed to herself with a nod before snapping her eyes to the honey eyed boy. "What's your name?"

"Uh- my- name?"

A smirk tugged on the corner of the girls lips as she once again rolled her eyes. "You do have a name right?" She sassily shot back.

"Mieczyslaw."

"What?" She echoed with a grimace on her face. "What the hell is a Mieczyslaw?"

"Mieczyslaw- but my Mom calls me Mischief, and everyone else calls me Stiles- I like Stiles. Call me Stiles." He was extremely nervous, especially around her, and she noticed it.