Chapter 2

America,
Arizona,
Lake Havasu City.

Soft classical music filled the air, adding to the serene atmosphere aboard the boat they had just embarked on. The night was cool and quiet, with the scent of fresh water lingering in the air.

As Rose looked around, she imagined the waiters exchanging amused glances as they passed by. Despite wearing a beautiful knee-length dress, she couldn't shake the feeling of being scrutinized. She had always been overly sensitive to perceived criticism and easily embarrassed by the slightest comment or discomfort.

The view of the city from the boat was enchanting, with distant skyscrapers twinkling like tiny golden stars against the night sky. It was a breathtaking sight for Rose, who was experiencing it for the first time.

"Lake Havasu City is indeed beautiful," Riley agreed, and Rose nodded in accord.

He had spent the entire afternoon and early evening ensuring that the boat ride was perfect. Rose admired the night sky in Arizona and the view of the city's inner parts, which had been her favorite thing to gaze at from her dorm back at the university.

"You look absolutely stunning tonight," Riley complimented, picking up his cutlery. He was undoubtedly referring to her new hairdo—perfectly straightened and parted in the middle—and the shimmery makeup that made her eyes sparkle. Plus, she looked very elegant in beige.

"Flattery will get you nowhere," she teased, and they both laughed. "It's funny how much I love the water, yet I've never been to this city."

Riley nodded in agreement, acknowledging the unique topography of the island. While he had been to Lake Havasu City before, he had never been on a boat with a woman he held in such high regard, let alone one he was engaged to.

"Admittedly, the topography of the island is peculiar," he remarked, glancing around at the extravagant interior of the boat and the impressive view of the sky.

Rose followed Riley's gaze, taking in the lavish surroundings of the boat and the beautiful sky with a cheerful glance. "This place is..." Her eyes shifted to Riley's plate. "...mysteriously fascinating."

With an engaging smile, she picked up her cutlery.

The fluttering feeling in Riley's stomach intensified as he gazed at her beauty. "I knew you'd like it," he stated, taking a forkful of Risotto to his mouth.

Rose shrugged elegantly, her eyes holding a glint of humor as she eyed him with deliberate interest. "Why do you feel like you know everything about me?" she asked with a sardonic smile.

"Italian women are..." Riley trailed off, a distant memory flashing through his mind. He fought against the impulse to speak freely, opting instead to rephrase his sentence. "You're fascinating," he concluded.

"As are you," Rose replied, offering him a compliment before taking a few more bites of her meal. She adjusted her hair and indulged in some of the cool wine, unable to find the words to express her gratitude for having him in her life.

The weather had become even more refreshing, with a cool breeze tousling Rose's hair. The waiter brought them their desserts and cleared their entree plates from the table.

"Thank you," Riley acknowledged the waiter before he left, then leaned closer across the table, his gaze shifting momentarily from the waters to Rose's eyes. "Now that I know more about you than I could ever learn in a lifetime..." he said with a hint of humor, "...don't you want to tell me more about your family?"