Rescuing the Unexpected (Bad Batch) (Pt2)

Beginne am Anfang

"He must need our help," Omega says, grabbing onto Tech's arm. He looks down, seeing her worry-filled eyes. "Maybe he wants out of the Empire now. We can rescue him."

"We don't know that." Echo instantly replies, his voice hard. He hands the binoculars back to Tech. Gently, Echo lays a hand on Omega's shoulder as Tech looks back down. "We don't even know that it's him. And if it is, then this could be a ploy by him to distract us."

Omega pouts as Echo and Tech go back to arguing, trying to figure out the right thing to do. They're debating about whether they should take this as a sign that they've been spotted or just ignore it.

Omega huffs crossing her arms over her chest. She can't just sit here and ignore it. No, she needs to do something. It's Crosshair. It has to be. "Let's ask him." She declares, her eyes brightening.

"What?"

She suddenly rises so that she's higher than the railing but hopefully not making their presence known to the rest of the Imperial troopers. She reaches over so her hand is in front of the railing. Quickly, she taps back on the railing their signal that means confusion.

The squad uses it for many occasions, depending on the situation. They might use it if they missed a command or have found themselves in a predicament. She hopes that he'll understand that they're confused by his request.

Tech and Echo sneakily pop their heads up, watching the trooper's reaction.

Slowly, the trooper taps the side of his head. His hand drops again, seemingly waiting for a reply.

"I don't remember that one," Echo says, his nose scrunching under his helmet.

Tech shakes his head, glancing at him. "That's not a signal. I don't know what's he doing."

Omega hums, biting on her lower lip. She doesn't understand. She has a good feeling that it is Crosshair. He responded to her confused tap, so she isn't going to give up yet. "We should call Hunter. Maybe he'll know."

"Omega, that's not one of our signals," Tech says, looking back at her. He then looks down, shaking his head. He doesn't know what to do. They can't waste their time screwing around with this trooper. "Maybe it's not Crosshair." He mumbles, beginning to rapidly tap his fingers on the railing in thought.

"It must be! He knew the signal." Omega says, snapping her head to look at him.

"That doesn't mean anything." Echo argues back, grabbing her attention. She huffs, her face squinting at him. Echo sighs, dropping his shoulders. "Look, I know you want it to be him. But we can't prove that and we can't risk this mission by worrying about this trooper."

She glares, her fists tightening. She can't understand why they are so hesitant about this. Clearly, that is Crosshair. He's responding to the squad's created tapping signals. "I'm trying one more time."

She signals to the trooper again against Tech and Echo's warnings. They flip to watch, waiting to see his response this time.

The trooper taps the side of his leg.

Tech looks to Echo. "He tapped back his name." He says, sounding like the wind has been knocked out of him. "Repeatedly."

"Contact Hunter. Let him know that we're getting Crosshair." Omega demands.

As if on cue, Hunter's voice rings through their comms, interrupting their growing argument. "Guys, there's no pet in here. Wrecker and I have searched the entire place."

"We have a bigger problem at the moment," Tech replies, suddenly tenser than Echo has seen in a while.

"What now?"