What followed was a kiss that Bella knew she could've lived without. The sounds that curled into her ear and clawed away at her were giving her goosebumps. She prayed to whoever controlled this Earth she did not make others feel this way when her lips ended up locked to Jackson's. Not that the two ever showed much public display of affection for one another.

"Surgery is sexy, honey," Catherine spoke as they pulled apart. Webber hummed and she added, "It's hot."

"Yes, it is," Webber said.

And it wasn't that they weren't cute or whatever outsiders thought of couples who loved each other like this. Bella wasn't some sort of love thief who would've rather seen it taken away than flourishing, but she couldn't help her scowl. The uncomfortable feeling that spread through her. All over her.

"And tonight, on our wedding night..." Catherine continued and Bella definitely felt like she was interrupting. Her skin curled and turned, wishing to tear off of her flesh and run away. This moment wasn't meant for her poor, innocent ears. Oh, no.

"Mhm-hmm?"

"...Dr Webber, I'm gonna show you just how hot a morning surgery can make me."

The moment needed to be interrupted. This needed to be scraped off of the hospital floor. If not for Bella's sake, then for everyone else who required treatment, and not the sight of two lovebirds.

She took it up on herself to forcefully clear her throat and quickly say, "There are people dying," which deemed to be enough to break the couple out of their bubble. It led her to be faced with Catherine's deadly eyes but she'd rather be murdered time and time again than witness any more of what she already had to.

"Dr Ledford," Catherine called to her, acknowledging her, and the look in the woman's eyes grew gradually more confusing. It appeared either as challenge or something that indicated she knew more than Bella wanted her to know.

"Dr Avery," she reciprocated the little nod. One of acknowledgement. One of basic human respect from one to another. That's how Bella would've described their relationship. It was the bare minimum.

The woman raised her eyebrows slightly and pulled her shoulders backwards. Her eyes were cold, though not as cold as they usually were. She voiced, "I presume I'll be seeing you at the wedding?"

"Unless there is a special request for me not to be there, I was in the know that I'll be attending along with the other surgeons," she confirmed, watching Catherine for any change that could've suggested her presence wouldn't be welcome.

"Good," Catherine nodded, then diverted her attention back to her soon to be husband.

Bella's shoulders sagged. Every time she was in direct conversation with Catherine Avery, she felt herself pull up the stone walls she crafted carefully throughout the years. A defence mechanism she resorted to, even when she didn't necessarily need to or thought was doing so. More like a second nature of sorts, knowing deep down that she needed to look out for herself.

Truth about the wedding—her invite got lost in the mail. The formal invite that everyone else had received, anyway. Hers had come directly from Jackson, who didn't think twice about what he had been doing during a surgery that required the both of them to be present at the same time. It was a surprise, but one that Bella didn't turn down or away from. The sound of attending a wedding came as much needed live music to her ears. For once, she was excited about, and looking forward to, something.

It had been two weeks since that invite.

"Ledford, we could use some help with our kid in Trauma One?" Hunt shouted over to her. It had been no longer than two minutes since she made it back to the busy ER. Somewhere along the way, she lost Webber. Maybe it was for the best.