Chapter 16

Dr. Erland turned over a small device in his palm before starting the recording, "This is Doctor Sage Darnel with the Mutation Reversal Medication Program, reporting Trial Number 67, Day One. Patient is a young female, former lunar special operative. Mutations appear to affect behavior, diet, smell, hearing, sight, and the usual physical features modified through surgery. After prior experimenting, it has been determined that the proteins coded for by hosts of the Blue Fever can be used to deteriorate the host's ravenous appetite and wolf-like tendencies while not infecting them with the plague. Although the first drug trials have shown little progress, new studies, accompanied by a recent breakthrough in the artificial synthesis of these proteins have been proven encouraging."

He looked up, suddenly out of breath. The girl before her was no older than his Crescent Moon had been the last day he saw her. As if she could read his mind, the young patient smiled back at him thoughtfully. He quickly returned the expression and began absentmindedly rambling on about the predicted outcomes of the trial. Until inevitably, the medroids were called in and the first doses of antibodies were administered.

From behind the glass wall before him, Dr. Erland mouthed a silent apology and began analyzing her vital statistics. He couldn't help but feel that the process—the slow, inevitable death—felt all too familiar.