Chapter 11: Trauma

Wolf's ears perked attentively. Outside, the sky was still pitch black. Out of instinct, Wolf pulled Scarlet closer to him. A scent he knew all to well flooded his nostrils: thaumaturges, two of them. He wrapped his arm around Scarlet, protecting her. His whole body tensed as he heard something outside. Footsteps.

"Wolf - " Scarlet choked, "Too tight." He loosened his hold, but still shielded her body with his own. "What's wrong?" she questioned, still half-asleep.

"Someone's out there," Wolf whispered. He sniffed again, this time his breath catching. Another special operative, one not from his pack. The footsteps drew nearer, and though they were outside, he could tell they wouldn't be for long. A small thud came from somewhere in the Rampion, startling them both.

"It's probably just Kinney and Iko again," Scarlet mumbled, rolling over onto her side. "Go back to sleep." She reached for his hand, and landed on empty sheets. He had already left. Scarlet let out a long sigh and wrapped herself up in her hoodie before rushing into the hallway. Sometimes, she had to remind herself that Wolf was basically a danger detector. He'd made his way out to the main entrance of the Rampion in the time it took her to reach the cockpit, but breaking into a jog, Scarlet managed to catch up to him.

"Go back inside," Wolf whispered without even turning his head.

"What is it?" Scarlet hissed from beside him. The freezing Winter air whipped across her face as they crept outside, though Wolf didn't seem at all phased. Quickly, he turned his head, his piercing green eyes drilling into her.

"It's nothing." She tried to stay calm, but between the vagueness of his words and the chill running up her spine, it was nearly impossible. Wolf stared into the vast emptiness of the night sky, his face contorting into a grimace. Without warning, he returned his gaze back to Scarlet, but this time, his scowl was replaced with a malicious grin. Wolf licked his lips, trying to will himself to speak. The words wouldn't come. His mind swirled, and he found his own thoughts eluding his grasp. Until suddenly they were gone. Replaced with only one, all too familiar feeling, blazing through his nerves.