Chapter 6 - You Can Never Win The Hunger Games

Start from the beginning

Johanna's grip around my hand tightened. 

"The people here are starving badly. We don't get enough food at all, only during the harvesting season. So we won't collapse or die on them. But it's hard starving and working with food simultaneously. For stealing you get whipped. My parents died out of starvation, when I was seven. From that day on I had survived by stealing. I was pretty good at it and the peacekeepers never caught me. But they started punishing the other workers for my crimes and I switched from stealing and running away, to eating immediately and getting caught. After some time Mary took me in and I started living with her and her children. She was the only one caring about me. In district 11 you can barely afford surviving yourself. So usually no one bothers to take in an orphanage. You can imagine how grateful I was. I started stealing for me and my family, but not as often. After hiding the food I would return to the peacekeepers to get my punishment, before they would turn on my new family." 

Johanna was fighting against her rage. 

"It's alright. Though I wish I could help the other citizens. As I'm a victor now, I don't have to worry about starving anymore." 

"It's not fucking alright! I already thought district 7 was bad, but in comparison to your district it seems like a damn wonderland!" 

People were secretly staring at us. 

"You shouldn't yell like that. We are going to get into trouble", I whispered. 

"They won't harm a victor." 

"They would", I contradicted. 

Johanna growled in frustration: "Jeez." 

Silence erupted between us but I did not mind. 

It took us more than two hours to get to victor's village. And that was close. The victor's village had been built near the train station on purpose. So it would not take us too long if we had to go to the Capitol. 

"Mum! Livia! We are back!", I called out. 

Livia approached me looking insecure due to Johanna's smirk. 

I hit Johanna's shoulder. "Quit it!" 

She tried to hide her amusement but it did not work. 

"It's alright, Livia. Johanna won't hurt you", I comforted the five year-old. 

She was not quite convinced, though her tension decreased a bit. "Finnick is on the phone", she informed me. 

Johanna cocked an eyebrow at me. 

I made my way toward the office hearing Mary talk to Finnick. 

"Ah, here she is", Mary told him when she saw me and immediately handed me the phone. 

"Hey, Finnick. What's up?", I wondered. 

"It's nothing. I just wanted to talk to you but Mary made a big fuss about it", he shrugged it off. 

"Ah, I see. How's Annie doing? Since the reaping is coming up soon." 

"Better than last year but it would be great if you could call her more often until the games." 

"Sure, but Johanna is here and ..." 

Said person snatched the phone out of my hand. "Hey, playboy", she mocked him. "Nah. Let's wait and see. ... Sure. ... Definitely not! Stop that bullshit! ... Yeah ... See ya." 

She hung up. 

"Hey!", I complained. "What did you even talk about?" 

"That's between Finnick and me", Johanna teased me.