3.8

•- Quincie Jackson -•

Aside from class, Elijah and I hadn't gotten a minute alone the following week. He was grading midterms and I was focusing on catching up on my studies.

Or my version of catching up which really means I was about two weeks ahead of the rest of my class in almost ass my lectures and labs.

But tonight would be the first time I'd get to see Elijah since our date two weeks ago. We spoke every day in short conversations because we were both busy.

And maybe I'm crazy for missing him, but I do.

I'm scurrying around the apartment trying to clean up after the boys who leave a mess everywhere they walk.

Grace and Fletcher are in the kitchen preparing dinner and Anthony was just getting off work and would be home shortly.

Elijah is due in an hour and I can't say I'm calm about the situation.

Grace has met Elijah, shared a few words and she's heard every gory detail about our relationship from me. Anthony and he have a bit of a rough history what with both of them having some sort of territorial claim over me. And Fletcher is just, well, Fletcher. He's excited to finally meet Elijah and I just know the two of them will get along.

"Quincie, you've got another hour. You're not even dressed yet."

I look down at my pajamas which I hadn't changed out of all day. From vacuuming the rug in my bedroom, to deep cleaning the bathroom, I was too busy to actually dress myself.

"Shit," I curse before spinning on my feet and storming off towards my bedroom.

I sift through all my clothes in hopes of finding something well worth the evening. I can't dress too formally because from my knowledge we're having something Grace would cook any night of the week.

But jeans won't do either because I'd feel too comfortable.

It's not as if Elijah is meeting my parents, because he's already met them. Not in the, 'Hey mom, hey dad. This is the guy I'm dating. Oh, he also happens to be my philosophy professor.'

I dread that conversation but this one is equally as important, if not more. They might be my friends, but tonight Elijah is really meeting my family.

I settle for a simple dress that falls off my hips and disregard any sort of shoe because I can't be bothered in my own home.

I rush out of my bedroom quickly pulling my hair into a loose ponytail as the curls from earlier in the day loosened and fall in a cute but not too professional way.

"Looking good, Little Q!" Fletcher calls out from the kitchen just as the front door opens and Anthony walks in.

He smells like fried food and as much as I'm sure he hates the smell, I hate it more.

"Anthony, shower!" I yell at him before I start dusting the fireplace that is more a fire hazard than anything.

"Jesus, Quincie. This apartment didn't even look this clean when we moved in, what the fuck?"

I ignore his comment as I lift a picture of all four of us from the mantle and dust off the glass frame.

"She's never out that her boyfriend is going to think we're slobs. We're college kids, of course, we are," Fletcher scoffs but before I can throw anything at him, Grace is gently swatting his chest.

"Boys, behave. Our Quincie is just nervous. There's nothing wrong with a little cleaning anyways. You two make a mess of the apartment and I'm the one who has to clean it up."