2.1

•- Quincie Jackson -•

My heart was pounding against my chest the closer I came to the philosophy building.

I'd left my apartment later than usual with the intention of being the last student in the room.

I had thought about skipping the class in all its entirety but attendance was mandatory and I would hardly put it past my father to look at my attendance record.

So I sucked up my heartbreak and raging emotions to go to class with a forced smile and a depleting will for education.

As I approach the building I can see a few familiar faces entering the lecture hall.

I really did not want to go to this class. Seeing Elijah would make things worse for me emotionally.

I'd spent the rest of my weekend closed in my bedroom and avoiding my roommates. Grace had tried to pull me from the depths of my hiding place but I wouldn't let her.

Anthony was too busy working to pay me any mind and Fletcher was occupied with his track season in full motion before winter.

So it was just me and my self-pity in a medium-sized bedroom avoiding all my problems by watching way too much Netflix.

I had hardly realized I was at the doorway until I peeked my head into the lecture hall.

Elijah's back was turned to the class as he scanned his notes for the lecture. I took this as my break for a safe haven as I speed into the classroom hoping to go unnoticed.

"Quincie!"

The calling of my name both startled me and made my stomach drop.

I had made it nearly halfway to the steps before my name had been called. I could have snuck past and into my seat unnoticed until the lecture began.

I wanted the littlest amount of attention I could get and I showed that in the way I dressed today.

I usually opted for a well-put-together outfit. My father's name was attached to me and so dressing scandalously was a slap on the wrist waiting to happen.

Instead of the stuck-up preppy clothes that I had been forced into from a young age, I dressed like every other college kid I knew.

Leggings, sneakers, a mid-length shirt, and a zip-up jacket because it was a bit chilly outside.

I looked comfy, or underdressed if it were at the care of anyone who made time to memorize my wardrobe.

Shaking these thoughts I turn and force a smile.

"Hello, Katie," I say, trying not to sound as irritated and disgusted as I was.

She had insinuated that I was the type of girl to put myself above others. I hardly knew Katie, but something told me she was projecting.

"I didn't realize we had a guest speaker today," I say through gritted teeth.

Our conversation caught the attention of Elijah who had turned quickly as the sound of my voice.

He looked nearly as bad as me.

He had bags under his eyes and he had traded his contacts for glasses today. His facial hair was not as well maintained as it was usually, and he lacked a tie. The first two buttons of his shirt were undone and you could almost make out the shadow of what I had always suspected to be his perfected muscles.

Not that I thought about that often.

"Elijah asked me last minute. I hope that's not much of a problem? I know we got off on the wrong foot but I think we've come to an understanding, right, Quince?"