3.4

•- Quincie Jackson -•
Warning: Some Material Is Not Suitable For All Readers•

"That sounds like a great idea!"

I nearly stop in my tracks at Elijah's enthusiasm.

I was halfway to the library this early morning to return a book and Elijah was in his office just across campus. He had called me minutes after spotting me walking past his window in my pursuit to return a book I needed for one of my many midterm papers.

We talked briefly about our mornings when I brought up Anthony's idea for dinner and much to my surprise, Elijah was on board immediately.

"I'm sorry, what? Shouldn't you be yelling at me for my friends being completely aware that we're seeing each other? Isn't that how these types of things usually work?"

Elijah chuckles on his end and I finally push through the library doors.

"There's no guidebook on navigating a student and Professor relationship, Love. But what's the point in hiding when your friends are already in tune with our relationship? I'm almost positive Grace knew from the first day we met, and Anthony and I did get off on the wrong foot. I've never met Fletcher, but you talk highly of him and so I would be honored to meet your friends and for them to see that I'm not just using you because you're young and pretty."

His reasoning made sense, but part of me was skeptical. We're talking about a sit-down meal with my friends. A meal that Grace will cook no doubt and I'll be sentenced to watching my friends grill my...well Elijah on things we probably haven't found out about each other ourselves.

But if Elijah felt he needs their approval, then I suppose I'm not one to ask questions.

"Great. I think?" I drop my book off in the drop-off box just outside the front desk.

As I'm exiting the library with nearly an hour and a half before Elijah's lecture is meant to begin I decide now is the best time to set my plan into motion.

I was going to wait until his office hours, or maybe his lunch break, but hearing his voice was sending a shiver down my spine and I couldn't shake the feeling of excitement that courses through my body at the prospects of my plan.

"Hey, are you busy right now?" I ask as I stop at one of the coffee kiosks in the small University park.

There were only a few early birds out for a morning run or getting ready for their 8 am lectures. Thankfully, Elijah's class doesn't start until 9 and I was always on campus no later than 8 for early morning note revisions in the library.

"Grading midterm papers. I would fancy some company if you're offering?"

I giggle into my phone as I stand in a short line waiting to get a coffee.

"That happens to be exactly what I'm offering. I'll see you in ten."

Before he could hear me order us both a fresh coffee, I end the call. Seconds later I'm handed steaming cups of coffee and I'm handing the barista a couple of dollars before I set out for Elijah's office.

It doesn't take long to arrive and I don't bother knocking seeing as he knew I was coming.

I push open the door and as soon as he comes into view, my heart skips a beat.

He was leaned back in his desk chair with his arms above his head as he skims through a paper on his desk. I'm sure it's for another one of his classes because my midterm paper wasn't due for the next few days even though I'd nearly finished it.

Still, Elijah looks breathtaking.

His white button-up tightened around the firm muscles of his body and he's traded his contacts for his black rimmed glasses. His hair was done in a way that begged for me to run my hands through it and he wore a pair of gray slacks that were equally as tight around the muscles in his legs.