2.8

•- Quincie Jackson -•

I was running late.

Which was usually very uncharacteristic of me but I'd changed my clothes more times than I'm willing to admit.

Elijah had told me what restaurant he'd picked for tonight's dinner and that meant pulling out an old dress I'd worn to one of my father's garden parties years ago.

I was just thankful it still fit.

The boys were out tonight for some athletics meeting and for that I was thankful. Grace was working an extra shift at the library before closing and so I had the entire apartment to myself.

I'd formed my entire day-to-day schedule around trying to not be in the way of others that when I was getting ready by myself I found I started later than I usually would have and Elijah would be here any minute and I had just finished putting on my dress.

It was a simple light blue satin dress that fell above my knees. The plunging neckline was a bit more revealing than I'd usually go for, but paired with the right jewelry it was almost unnoticeable. If it weren't for my obvious chest but I wasn't going to mind that any attention since I was busy rushing around.

My hair was pinned up into a bun so my hair was out of my face and not acting as a shield. Usually, I'd hide behind fallen hair and pretend like I didn't exist when it came to public interaction but I was excited to see Elijah.

We'd seen each other in class but that was hours ago. And he barely paid attention to me during the lecture. But I'm sure he had his reasons.

I was putting on my heels when there's a knock at the door. Scurrying to my feet, I flatten my dress and approach the living room door. I take a much-needed deep breath before I pull it open.

"Wow."

I feel my smile widen as Elijah stares at me as though he hasn't seen me dressed up before. I lean against the door as I watch his eyes soak me in.

"I'll take that as a compliment," I laugh as I usher him into my empty apartment.

Elijah was dressed in a way that made the butterflies in my stomach set off for the high skies. His white button-up was undone just enough to see the teasing outlines of his muscles and his black trousers complimented how to put together and sexy he looked.

Elijah extends a bouquet of lilies in my direction.

"You look absolutely beautiful, Quincie. I didn't think it was any more possible but you look ravishing."

I blush under his compliments as I lead him to the kitchen.

"Thank you, Elijah. You don't look too bad yourself," I tease as I fill a vase with water, "And thank you for the flowers, they're beautiful."

I take the vase of flowers to my bedroom as a precaution and Elijah follows.

"So this is what Quincie Jackson's adult bedroom looks like," he teases as he leans against the doorframe.

I roll my eyes as I set the vase to my desk.

"Careful now, Elijah. Last time you talked like that we almost kissed," I jokingly say as I turn to face him.