Chapter Forty-One

The temperature plummeted as soon as the words left Soren's mouth. Asher shifted his feet, feeling goosebumps prickle across his arms as he allowed the magic to swim into his vision. It looked like dark wisps of smoke were darting about Soren, licking at the surrounding air before being pulled back to the king. They were blacker than anything Asher had ever seen, and radiated a cold so strong Asher could already feel it piercing through his skin.

The streaks of shadow twisted as Asher watched, growing thicker and dancing further outwards. He stumbled back, instinctive terror surging through him. Soren still had that warped, heavy air about him, but this was the real darkness: purer than night, without consciousness, hungrily seeking out any scrap of warmth or life. This was the Raek.

"Soren, what are you doing?" Rivas asked, his voice wound tight around each word. The Valkir rose to his feet, nudging Wade aside with one boot. Wade slumped to the floor, his eyes drifting half-shut.

"I have it under control." Soren sounded perfectly calm, but Asher didn't let his guard down. This wasn't a power that anyone—even Soren—could reign in. The Raek's ice crept further into his veins, driving away his breath as he took another step back. He could've sworn a shadow was hovering amidst the dark swirl of magic, wavering half-in and half-out of Soren's body. It seemed to be looking at him.

A flash of light caught the corner of Asher's eye, and he turned. Bloody red streaks of lightning were flickering around Rivas' hands as the assassin tensed. Despite everything that the Valkir had done, the magic surging around him was whole. Asher drifted closer to Rivas, glancing at Wade. His friend hadn't moved, his eyes glassy and confused as he caught Asher's gaze.

Soren held a hand up, twisting his fingers in a silent command. Rivas hesitated, confusion flashing across his face. Asher cursed internally; he would find no ally here.

A thread of shadow suddenly broke free, streaking toward Asher. He cried out and raised one arm; his own magic, warm and comforting, surged along with his fear. Energy flew from his fingers as gold-white sparks, fanning out before him. With some effort, Asher stretched them into flames and caught the darkness within the fire. A series of chills speared through him, snatching his breath away, but it was still weaker than the Raek in the woods had been.

Asher grit his teeth, straining to channel the heat racing through him into the awful cold. He felt it fracturing under his hold, burning from the inside out. It was as if he needed to force his desperation outwards; he curled his fingers, feeling his muscles seize up with the effort.

With a snap, the shadows fractured and fell away. Sucking in a lungful of air, Asher drove his power further into the cold, desperate to destroy it all before the Raek could lunge again. He was distantly aware of Soren stumbling, his gaze sharpening as he focused on Asher.

"Soren—" Rivas shifted toward the king, but hastily drew back as the darkness surged, knitting itself back together.

Asher cried out as a few more tendrils of shadow flew towards him. He braced his spine against the cool wall, wrenching his magic further outwards to catch them. A shudder rattled down the length of his body; Asher gritted his teeth, shoving the black, icy magic away. The heat in his chest was flickering under the weight of the chill, making it harder and harder to grasp.

Soren flicked his hand, and the shadows pulled back. Asher cowered as they formed a semicircle around him, throwing out his hands and letting his magic snap free. It was raging at the edges of his control now, trying to burst free; he fought to keep it contained, forcing his energy into the Raek. If he snapped, he'd be left spent and exhausted. He'd be vulnerable.

The darkness wavered under Asher's attack, but more shadows pooled beyond it. It felt like Asher's heart was about to burst with the effort to keep them away. He couldn't breathe. It hurt.