Chapter 17: ???

You had failed your mission.
You failed keeping yourself and the others safe.
How?
....
How was I not smart enough to check my back?
(Unknown) - You made quite a mess back there.
Who... is that?
You vaguely recall the speaker's voice as the same voice that married the back of your head and the tip of his Berettas' barrels quite violently enough for you to pass out.
Puro, on the other hand, appeared to have been awake for quite some time now. He smiles.
(Unknown) - I must say - I'm surprised your doctor wolf friend... He stops for a second, unaware of any appropriate rude names to give to Dr. K ...whatever, wasn't part of the fun.
Monika - And... why would that be?
Even though you're half K.O, you still notice the anxiety in her voice. At least something got to her, you consider. She wasn't someone who could be easily impressed or surprised. Still, she demonstrated certain curiosity by raising her eyebrows just enough for you to notice.
(Unknown) - Yeah, yeah, like you don't know.
He turns around.
(Unknown) - Right?
Dr. K simply looks down, showing embarrassment. Unusual.
The unknown human turns his head around, looking at the road lying ahead of him, and laughs. Not a normal healthy laugh, the kind you make when you watch a funny video or hear a good joke: but the kind of laugh that sends chills down your spine, the maniacal laugh worthy of those whose purely egotistical desires and lack of interest for others' wellbeing win the common label of "villains". Puro's eyes squint.
Monika, on the other hand, only got more and more curious by each second the stranger didn't answer her.
(Unknown) - Your dear flea magnet you so cutely call "dad" practically eviscerated his boss to oblivion. Wait, that's an overstatement. To be accurate, he stabbed him until he died, or something. We couldn't tell, anyways - he set the man's house on fire, see, so... the bag of burnt meat and bones couldn't tell us much. Or the police didn't care too much, anyways. I mean, the man was under the threat of losing his job - but who does that? His tone showed no sign of sadness or repulse whatsoever, but the amusement in his manner of telling the incident was unmistakable.
Monika looks at his dad, and you can tell she didn't go down without a fight: there was half-dried blood all over the back of her shirt, neck and head. No one else showed physical damage - not that your bodies were affected that easily.
Monika - Why, I didn't think you had the guts to kill a fly, let alone a human being or whatever the hell you are.
She smiles.
Monika - Maybe I am your daughter after all.
She smiles. Dr. K looks up, incredulous, and says nothing, but the faint trace of a smile on his face speaks for him.
Puro whispers in your ear.
Puro - Great, they're both bananas.
He spoke a tad too loudly, though.
Monika (not mad, jokingly) - Hey, I heard that, you pile o-
The unknown human interrupted your family reunion, and decided to keep talking as if there had been no interruption at all.
(Unknown) - Anyways, Doctor, you did us quite a favor by taking out my brother.
His brother?
(Unknown) - Yet... He slowly stops the car. A 45-70 BFR comes out of the stranger's black leather jacket - quite an uncanny gun, and certainly not common. He turns around and points the gun at the white wolf.
I don't take having my brother killed very kindly.
He stares at your face, showing fear, and laughs again. He puts the revolver away and starts roaring with laughter.
(Unknown) - Ah, who am I kidding? He spent all his (and our) money on booze, houses and whores. He was a useless piece of shit.
He starts driving to nowhere again
(Unknown) - Still, he was an important piece of the puzzle.
Silence falls. Just like last time, it is broken as if there was no silence or interruptions before he continued .
(Unknown) - Doctor, do you have any idea why this disease was so hard to cure?
More awkward silence.
(Unknown) - It was made by humans.
You - Why?
The single word came out of your mouth on its own accord, and you only realized that after it had been said.
(Unknown) (smiling) - You'll die without knowing. Not that you'd understand, nor most people would, anyways. But if I could narrow it down to a couple of words, I'd say what most people would consider 2 out of the 3 things every human desires the most. Money and power.

...