Chapter 20

Charlotte Romanov

"Yes. Yes, I'm sure." I say sullen. "This is not the right to even think about this. My daughter is missing for Christ's sake!"

"We need to meet once more." He suggests.

"No. I just told y--"

"No, listen babushka. We need to talk about your daughter..."

I lurch out of bed, holding on to my phone like it might just disappear with the news, like my precious daughter.

My heart skips a beat in guilt of what i was doing whilst my daughter is out there, most likely suffering. A sharp sense of shame surged through my mind, embarrassment and shame instilling themselves deeply in my bones.

I collapse on the floor, my free hand carrying the weight if my body as it collides painfully with the floorboard.

Not painful enough to free me of my shame. My eyes burn, tears puddling in my eyes, a weak sob wreaking my body at the thought of my actions.

My husband is probably out there trying his atmost best for the retrieval of my baby yet her I am whoring myself out to his enemy.

"Charlie?... is everything okay?"

Ivan's voice pulls me back to reality and I'm quick to hurriedly gather my bearings, roughly drying my face, standing up from the floor that is warm of my body heat.

"Uhm.. yes." I manage to let out, clearing my throat. There is no time to cry about such things. I breathe in and out slowly before saying, "What about her? Have you found something?"

"Yes. I found out where your daughter was on the day of her disappearance." He says after a few seconds of hesitant silence.

"Yes. I also am well aware of where my daughter was on the day of her disappearance. I am also aware of how she got access to the gathering." I let him know, my annoyance apparent from my tone. "Is there something else you could tell me? Preferably something that could be of use to me."

"Yes ma'am." He says, amusingly. His voice daring to add some more shame to my already ashamed self. I brush it off. This is wrong.

"Well then... talk." I say, biting my nails.

"I managed to get information of the people that left around the time she left the party. There were four people." He starts. "A japanese-african couple, well known by day as the competant owners of dozens of franchises and the cosmetic company, Lè ćhelle, the notorious deadly incestuous underbosses of the Yakuza mafia by night. They left the party just two minutes after your daughter left."

A slight gasp escapes my parted lips, eyes darting from side to side with the salty liquid threatening to escape and shoot another slightly stronger episode of body wreaking sobs but I hold it in. Let's hear the lad out.

Yes, for my baby, I will be strong.

"Yes..."

"The other indivisual is the son of the billionaire, Ian Greene. The host of the Gala, well his family was hosting the Gala, he's the one who invited both your daughter and her friend as his guests. He left just a moment after they left, heading the same direction as your daughter and her friend but he was not alone..." He sighs and clears his throat in hesitancy and discomfort. The paging of papers can be heard through the metal device I am pressing against my ear in anticipation. "He was with another billionaire, Severo Russo. A CEO of Russo Enterprise. He also owns dozens of hotels, restaurants, resorts, malls and entertainment agencies amongst other things. He is also double faced, an heir of a well known Mafia operation, the son of Francesco Russo."