Chapter Twenty-Nine, Dragra the Great

The next day Merlyn could barely stand to look out of the tiny window in her cell which showed the square as a pyre was being built for her execution. Despite George tending to Arthur that morning Gwaine headed straight to Arthur's chambers a scowl upon his rather pale face. 
"We need to find a way to smuggle Merlyn out of Camelot." Gwaine said with no preamble, striding to Arthur, who stood on the far side of the chamber, with purpose.
"My father has me under constant watch. And I will not endanger yours or her life like that." Arthur said sternly but sadly. "Besides, there are guards outside and below in the square. But, I can't watch her die, Gwaine. Why is Morgana doing this?" His voice broke as tears filled his eyes. Gwaine didn't have an answer for that.

***

"I thought you might be hungry." Gwen said, as she was allowed into Merlyn's cell.
"I can't even think of eating." Merlyn sighed. "How is Arthur? Will you - I mean you don't have to - but could you remember me." Merlyn rambled tearfully, bringing tears to Gwen's eyes.
"You're not going to die Merlyn. None of us will let it." Gwen said firmly, her voice breaking a little. "Arthur wants me to let you know that he will do everything he can to convince Uther that you're innocent, and that he won't stop until you're released." Gwen assured, as Merlyn turned away to hide her tears.

"You and I both know that Uther will not change his mind, Gwen." Merlyn said resigned. "When I am gone, will you take care of him for me, Gwen?" She choked with tears.
"You can't give up hope. There is still time." Gwen said, trying to remain optimistic.
"To do what?" Merlyn demanded.
"We need to find the person who really planted the poultice. Do you have any idea who it might have been?" Gwen asked desperately. "What is it?" She asked, when realisation crossed Merlyn's face.

Merlyn looked at the guards nervously before turning her back to them so they didn't know what she was saying.
"After I was sentenced to death, I was being led out. I looked back. I swear, Morgana was smiling. You probably think I'm mad." Merlyn said sadly but her tone was begging her friend to believe her.
"Of course not." Gwen whispered, as the guard returned as their time was up. "I don't doubt what you saw, at all."
"I can no longer trust her." Merlyn whispered hurriedly. "I've started to wonder if it wasn't a coincidence that Uther and Morgana found us in the woods. Be careful Gwen." Merlyn begged. Gwen nodded, hugged Merlyn, before she quickly left so the guard wouldn't get impatient.