Chapter Thirteen, Gwaine to the Rescue

The next morning Merlyn awoke with a smile on her face as she dressed in a white underdress with a maroon overdress, her signature brown boots and braided hairstyle. It felt amazing to finally have a friend she could be herself with and be fully honest with. Lancelot knew and they correspond through letters since he'd left Camelot a few years ago but it wasn't the same. Then there was Gwen; her best friend but there was a huge gap between them, not that Gwen knew. The reason for that was she was constantly lying to Gwen and she hated it, but she also couldn't risk Morgana and Morgause finding out about her magic and she selfishly or not depending who you asked, didn't tell Gwen about her magic because she didn't want to lose her friend. So to have Gwaine as her friend and to accept her with her magic was a literal godsend.

A smile graced her face once again when she entered her rooms and spotted both Gwaine and Gaius sitting at the table waiting for her to join them for breakfast; Gwaine looked rather well considering how much he drank last night.
"Morning." She chirped happily, hugging Gwaine, and kissing Gaius's cheek as she sat beside him.
"Morning Merlyn bird." Gwaine grinned.
"Good morning, my dear girl." Gaius said happily, happy to see his daughter happy. In the back of her mind she knew Arthur would be angry about the Tavern bill but she couldn't bring herself to care right now.
"I'll see you later." Merlyn said, kissing Gaius' cheek and after a moment of hesitation, gave Gwaine another hug, before she almost skipped out of the chambers. While the two men watched her go with adoring smiles on their faces.
"I'll see you later Merlyn bird." Gwaine shouted after her making her smile widen. 

"Sorry I'm late." Merlyn said, rushing into Arthur's chambers with his breakfast, seeing him sat at his desk, his head on his fist and an unreadable expression on his face.
"Not at all." Arthur waved off surprising her, normally he would rant for at least five minutes before they bantered and teased each other before he finally pecked her on the lips. But she just smiled and brushed it off.
"Sure you're alright?" Arthur asker as Merlyn started making his bed. "You're not sick, unsteady, about to burst into song?"
"Well, song, maybe. The rest, no." Merlyn teased but Arthur just glared at her and banged his hand on the bill she'd spotted on his desk. Without taking his eyes off her Arthur picked up the bill, shook it out and started to read.