Chapter Twelve, Trouble Stirring

Whilst trouble was brewing outside of Camelot; inside Camelot Merlyn had just finished all of Gaius's rounds and was slowly walking through the lower town with Gwen as they caught up with each other. It felt like they hadn't had a decent moment to really talk when they were interrupted from their talks of Lancelot and Arthur.
"I believe these belong to you." Gwaine said, holding out two white flowers, one to each lady.
"I don't think so." Gwen says, laughing a little in surprise.
"Gwaine." Merlyn said shocked before it turned into a smile. "Gwen, this is Gwaine, the man who helped us. Gwaine, this is my best friend."
"Princess Gwen and Princess Merlyn." Gwaine said bowing to them, causing a blush to appear on both of their cheeks.

"Everyone's staring." Gwen snapped flustered.
"This isn't working is it?" Gwaine asked.
"No, not really." Merlyn said teasingly while Gwen said dryly.
"That's a shame. I've been spurned twice now." He said dramatically, making them giggle.
"I better get my washing home and get back to Lady Morgana. I'll see you later Merlyn. Gwaine." Gwen bid farewell.
"You still have to finish filling me in on you and Lancelot." Merlyn teased. "I better relieve Arthur of George's talks of brass." She laughed.
"Yes, I think that would be the reason." Gwen teased back.
"Oh shut up." Merlyn said, waving her hand at her best friend.
"I was hoping you could show me around, Merlyn? You are after all my only friend." Gwaine asked, seriously this time.
"You're thinking of staying?" She asked happily. "I'd be happy to be your friend. I guess I can leave Arthur to the clutches of George's talks." Merlyn laughed, causing Gwaine and Gwen to laugh. The latter shook her head at her friend.

***

Deep within the forest two unsuspecting Knights didn't know their lives were about to be brutally cut short all because of a revenge plot to kill Prince Arthur Pendragon.
"How much further would you say it is to Camelot?" The sandy haired Knight asked his companion.
"Half a day's ride. The journey is almost over." The darker haired Knight replied. The two Knights had no idea their would-be killers were in the trees on the hill watching and listening as they planned their attack.
"It is for you." The bald thug said with a wicked smirk upon his face as he ran at them.
"Oswald!" The sandy haired Knight shouted in warning. But Sir Oswald was unfortunately too slow to react and fell to the floor dead before he could draw his own sword.