Chapter Twenty-Eight, Plans Gone Awry

Unbeknownst to all of Camelot and a very tired Mage, Morgana was slowly putting her plan into place when, to her delight, all the pieces fell into place when Merlyn and Gwen had to serve Uther, Arthur, and herself dinner in Council Hall. Merlyn had been feeling under the weather lately and despite having George working alongside her and completing the other tasks, Uther hadn't allowed him to help with serving dinner.

Leaving an exhausted Merlyn to work alongside Gwen, which Arthur and Gwen noticed with concern, however, Merlyn distracted Arthur by sending him some sly looks which he happily returned.
"What news from the Northern Borders?" Uther asked, oblivious to the looks Arthur was sending Merlyn but Morgana was not.

"There have been a number of minor skirmishes." Arthur replied.
"Do you think Odin is testing our defences?" Uther asked. "Arthur, are you listening?" Uther demanded, when Arthur didn't answer but instead flirted with Merlyn.
"What's that?" Arthur asked, suddenly sitting up and knocking over his goblet sending the wine cascading across the table towards Uther.
"What on earth is wrong with you?" Uther demanded sharply, jumping to his feet to avoid the wine which Merlyn hurried to clean up while Gwen smirked at the pair behind her hand.
"Nothing. Sorry." Arthur apologised awkwardly.

***

After the shambles of dinner Merlyn was finally dismissed for the day and went straight to her chambers to bathe. Merlyn only planned to close her eyes for a bit until Gwaine and Gaius returned so they could all have dinner but she immediately fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.
While in Arthur's chambers, he was going over his plans for the Knights but his head was too clouded with thoughts when Morgana entered his chambers causing him to hide his suspicions.
"Arthur, am I disturbing you?" Morgana asked, acting all sweet.
"Nooo. Come in." Arthur said cautiously, but thankfully Morgana failed to notice the tone of his voice. "To what do I owe this visit?"

"I was worried about you." Morgana replied, causing Arthur to internally scoff. "You weren't yourself at dinner." She continued.
"I'm just a bit tired is all." Arthur replied.
"Really? I thought the reason you were so distracted was because Merlyn was in the room." Morgana replied smugly.
"I have no idea what you're talking about." Arthur stated quickly.
"Come on, Arthur." Morgana laughed. "Why can't you admit you have feelings for her? A blind man could see it." Arthur had a feeling she was playing him but he had no idea why so he decided to play along so they could find out what her goal was.
"Is it really that obvious?" He asked.
"It's only so obvious to me because... I know Merlyn also had feelings for you." Morgana said softly, almost fooling Arthur into believing she was her old self. Almost.

"Has she said something?" Arthur asked, sitting forwards in his chair and nearly forgetting his plan as the talk turned towards Merlyn. His weakness.
"She speaks of you all the time to Gwen and I." Morgana replied.
"What did she say?" Arthur asked earnestly.
"You're already arrogant enough. I will flatter you no further." Morgana stated sharply, as Arthur looked away Morgana smirked at him over her goblet and decided to put her plan into action. "Poor girl. I fear she doesn't know what to do with herself when she's around you."

"She's not alone." Arthur sighed. "I have such feelings for her, and yet I know nothing can ever come of them."
"If it's Merlyn who you desire, why do you deny yourself?" Morgana asked.
"'Cause she's a servant. My father would have me marry for the good of the kingdom." Arthur sighed.
"Uther knows nothing of love. You are the future King. You must set your own rules or how else will the people respect you? Besides, he doesn't have to find out." Morgana said, smirking. "You should spend some time with Merlyn. I know she'd like that." Morgana said, before she left Arthur's chambers with a dark smirk on her face.

***

The following day Arthur had George set up a romantic picnic by the lake and had Gwen bring Merlyn, so the pair could enjoy the romantic picnic. But Merlyn had a bad feeling and it soon proved true as Morgana and Uther caught Arthur and Merlyn kissing. Following that everything spiralled out of control when a love poultice was found beneath Arthur's pillows and Merlyn was accused of being a witch and casting an enchantment on Arthur. It was only proven, in Uther's eyes, when Arthur confessed he loved Merlyn and that he would relinquish the throne and leave Camelot for her. Seeing no reason even, when Gaius begged his old friend for his Great-niece and Gwaine and Leon for their sister, Uther ignored them all and sentenced Merlyn to death. It would seem another vision in the crystal was coming true.

 It would seem another vision in the crystal was coming true