A Very Long Night

"He's just using you for sex," Atticus reminded his best friend dryly. She shot back a flat look at him.

"You think I don't know that? Who cares? He's sexy and mysterious and absolutely amazing in bed and also attractive. You do not find somebody more my type than Lev," Ravyn returned as Ace bristled up. She glanced at her muscular friend with benefits once more.

"Think if I ask him to dance he'll say yes?"

"He'll laugh in your face, Ray. He's not talking to you so he's not horny right now." With his words, Ace earned a hard slap against his arm. He could have easily stopped it, but that would have meant dropping the drink he wanted to chug. Ravyn was fast, but her best friend was even faster.

"Will you shut up for once in your stupid life?" she hissed. But, of course, this was Atticus Hamish Blackbourne III. He didn't know the definition of quiet. He even talked in his sleep.

"You're right, my life is stupid." His tone was a little too cheerful, and he finished his mostly full glass in one gulp. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find a tray of drinks and down all of them." Atticus stalked away, and Ravyn didn't try to stop him. Just like one of her other best friends, he was dead set on getting wasted because of daddy issues. Ace didn't have to mention anything related to his father for her to pick up on the cause. It was usually his dad that caused the problems in Ace's life.

Ravyn sighed and finished her own drink. At least the Coalition didn't skimp on alcohol for their ridiculous galas. Then again, these events were held to train the students in etiquette and espionage, among other things. Everything had to be realistic, which meant expensive alcohol available to teenagers. They had to learn to hold their alcohol well young or else they'd never survive in this cutthroat world.

Glancing around the extravagant ballroom, the chandelier light glinting off of everybody's gold ties and jewelry, Cal and Ksenia caught her eye. Great. He was using her for sex again.

Sure, Ksenia's brother, Lev, used Ravyn for sex, but she was fully aware of the situation. Ravyn wasn't so sure Cal knew what he was doing, even if his side chick did.

"Cal, darling, remind me why you aren't with Torin?" she asked, half expecting her cousin to curse at her at the tabooed mention of his ex. Instead, like the mature young adult he was, her cousin ignored her.

"Ksenia, why are you letting Cal toy with you?" Maybe trying the side chick would help get Cal's attention.

"I'm not toying with Ksenia," Cal scoffed. At the exact same time, she retorted to Ravyn with a clever reply. "Why are you letting my brother toy with you?"

"Yeah, Ravyn, why are you letting Lev string you along?" Cal countered. Ravyn glowered at the pair of them.

"That's different. I hope you give each other STDs."

"The only person getting an STD tonight is you, dear, when Lev sleeps with your desperate self out of pity." Spinning away from the pair, Ravyn flipped them the bird and strutted over to a server. She grabbed two glasses of champagne and made her way to Torin. She had already struck out twice with her other two best friends. Third time's the charm, right?

"Ravyn, I'm not interested in taking care of you tonight, so give me the drinks," he demanded. She held the drinks closer to her chest, scoffing.

"Sloane, if I give you these drinks then I'll be taking care of you. At least you can lift me. You're two hundred pounds of bulk and muscle. No thank you." Torin didn't object, but did sip at his own bourbon.

"What's going on with you, Ray?" He leaned his shoulder against the wall, arms folded across his chest.

"Atticus got in another fight with his dad and Cal is trying to sleep away the memories of you." She took another gulp of her drink.