Her eyes fluttered open, moving to gaze up at Winter as he stared a few feet ahead of him. She would've thought he wasn't thinking at all, but the small furrow of his brows- the slight concern- made her scarcely curious and worried.

The Soldier is not capable of expressing emotions.

What a lie.

"There are more." His voice was soft. "Of us. Sir said so. Said they would be better than us."

Verfall swallowed, wincing as she struggled to sit up. Winter placed a hand under her back, helping her maneuver so she would lay back on his chest.

"What?" She breathed hoarsely.

His eyes shifted to the side of her face.

"He said there are five Soldier's, better, stronger, faster. He wants us to evaluate them today." He hesitated. "Will he- are they- you are important, you are good, you're a good weapon so- are they- going to decommission you?"

Verfall's heart seized at how much he cared about her rather than himself. The concern in his eyes only worsened at her silence and she cleared her throat.

"No." She assured. "They won't."

There was a pause, and then-

"Will they decommission me?"

Verfall tilted her head up, nuzzling her head into the crook of his neck. Her hands reached up to grab tightly to his, brushing her finger against the palm of his metal hand, tracing the little grooves.

"No." She said firmly. "You're very important. You're the best weapon. They won't."

Winter tilted his head, hair falling into his face unceremoniously as his tense shoulders loosened. He shut his eyes for a moment.

"Okay." He sounded convinced.

Which he should've, since they'd been the best weapons HYDRA had ever utilized. They hadn't rebelled drastically, nor had they tried to run away for the last few decades. They had learned their lessons from punishments and tried to be good. In fact, they'd had a really good track record for their past missions. So much so that no bloody punishments had been ordered upon them- although there were those few agents who were more interested in feeding their power trip rather than HYDRA itself.

Howard's case was. . .special- a one time case that wouldn't happen again.

So yes, Verfall liked to think they'd done enough to remain useful because they were still so powerful and quick and- and useful.

The door to the cell started unlocking and Verfall removed herself from Winter's arms, tucking into the corner in a feeble attempt to hide. Winter moved in front of her like a shield, expression growing blank and passive as Karpov appeared

"Стоять и следовать."

Stand and follow.

He ordered.

Karpov's eyes were indifferent as he waited for the pair, who sprang to their feet.

Verfall staggered only for a moment before catching her balance and ducking her head, keeping her eyes low to the floor as they stepped behind him. Their handler's footsteps were quiet and carefully placed as they turned down a long hallway, passing the wide cavern holding the chair. They entered another open area which was rather wide and held multiple different cabinets, desks, and machinery.

In the center of it all was a cell that looked more like a cage for exotic animals, tall enough to tower over them, and wide enough to fit at least ten people inside with leisure space.