8

Hey,

It's my birthday today.

It's also my stepfather's birthday.

I used to like my birthday. Back when mom and dad are still together. Mom and dad would often take me to a park and then we'll have a picnic the whole day. Then dad would buy me cotton candy and would let me ride his shoulders as we ran across the park. Mom would always say she loves watching us have fun. Everything used to be so perfect. Not until Dad found someone else and decided to just abandon me.

But it's not just Dad who abandoned me, Mom did too. Although I'm still with her, it was like she completely forgot about me. And then years later, she met Dallas. But I wished she never did. Because she completely changed. She changed because of him. And my birthdays changed because of him.

I remember pulling the covers over me. I remember crying. I remember taking a shower, hoping to remove every remnant of him on me. I remember walking past my Mom and seeing her apologetic eyes looking at me. I remember seeing Finn at the school's gate, waiting for me. I remember how he pulled me towards our usual spot. I remember him handing me a gift. I remember crying, but it's not because of his gift, but it's because of what happened the second I woke up.

I remember everything.

And what frustrates me is all I can do is remember. I can't do anything other than that.