chapter 3

word count -  2674

  You soon realized it was his playing card against your neck. and it wasn't an ordinary one. it felt like a sharp blade, ready to pierce your skin if you moved the slightest inch.

there was complete silence. you were sure your heartbeat was louder than the crickets beneath you. his aura was something you've never felt before...it was Intense, calming, overwhelming, and terrifying all at once. you didn't know what to feel.

"what're you doing?" you asked while trying not to move. you couldn't predict what he wanted to do next. and that alone was terrifying.

he appreciated your cooperation and the way you checked your attitude, so he released you. turning around the face hisoka, you backed up a few steps. if he was going to pull another move like that, at least this time you'd see it coming.

"I could've killed you just now, but I chose not to~" he licked the card, making you cringe a bit.

"you wouldn't kill me" you bluffed

"oh?~" he dismisses his card. "you're not wrong, but your assumption isn't correct either."

what the hell does that mean? I'm right but I'm wrong? you stood there staring at him, trying to figure out his character. he just smirked in response.

you knew he was far more powerful than you. the chances of winning against him in a fight were low. he could kill you anytime if it was convenient to him. but he didn't. why?

"if you already achieved your badge, you could join me~" he offered

you assumed when he said "join me" he meant spending the rest of your days on this island with him. The thought of it made you uncomfortable, and a little nervous.

even though hisoka meant no harm, you declined. his actions were confusing. like pure manipulation. and to be quite honest, you didn't have the mental capacity to deal with such nonsense.

"yeah. thanks but no thanks. now if you'll excuse me I have to finish cleaning up so I can locate my target." you lied

Hisoka leaned closer to you as if he was going to kiss the right side of your bare neck. you felt how his warm breath was against your skin, his wet hair dripping onto your shoulder, and his scent filling the warm air.

the heat of his body hit as he spoke. "Suit yourself~"

did he watch your fight? he seemed to know that you were lying. Even if he did know, he just played along.

how long has he been watching me and why? it couldn't have been a coincidence that he just appeared the same day you acquired your badge.  Did he also know you would come to this very lake?

"you know where to find me.." he whispered, only loud enough for you to hear as if someone was listening. and with that, hisoka walked away.

you watched as he glided back to his original spot, hearing the water sway around his body. soon enough, the darkness of the lake took Hisoka with it.

then reality hit you. he could've killed me. you sat on the ground with your thoughts, continuing to wash the bird shit out of your shirt.

hisoka was someone you didn't understand. sometimes it felt like he wanted to harm, but it didn't sound so. other times it was the other way around.

you noticed how he was a bit of a loner as well. always do his own thing. never worrying about other people. that is until you came along.

hisoka himself knew this. he found himself wanting to be around you. at first, he figured it was just the immense power you possessed, that you were completely oblivious to. but there was more. something else he couldn't pinpoint. he didn't mind the feeling, but it was frustrating not knowing what it was.