Ch. 40 - Remember

A/N: nothing to see here...
Have fun reading!

Izuku POV

I woke up to Shinso's alarm, and so did he. I felt the rumble of a groan in his chest before I heard it, and I realized as I shot up that I had been laying on his chest, but came to another crucial realization that my legs were tangled in his as I lost what little balance I had and landed back on top of him.

"Oof." He wheezed quietly, peeking one squinted eye open.

I quickly got to work detangling myself from him- which proved rather difficult with the way one of the blankets had wound around us- and sat up, apologizing as he reached over to shut off the alarm.

"I am sososo sorry I didn't realize I fell asleep on you you probably felt bad and didn't want to wake me up but it would have been fine especially because this probably made you uncomfortable and then just now I fell on you and it probably hurt and I'm really-"

"It's too early for this." He grumbled, reaching up and hooking his arms around my waist and pulling me back down to his chest.

"W-wha-"

"I've got a second alarm set, don't worry about it." And with that, he fell back asleep.

My eyes were wide as the side of my face rested comfortably on his chest, but the calming rhythm of his breathing lulled me back to sleep remarkably quickly.

Five minutes later I am regretfully woken up by the second alarm, this time I'm careful not to do something stupid and end up hurting one or both of us. I roll off of him, and he lets me as he reaches to turn the alarm off, but the second he does his phone starts ringing.

Shinso picks it up, looking at the ID in confusion before answering groggily.

"Aizawa-sensei?" He pushes himself into a sitting position, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "Yeah, we're both awake. Since like, ten seconds ago."

He scrunches his eyebrows together, looking concerned. A look of surprise passes over his face.

"Wait-" he pulls the phone away from his ear, looking down at the screen. "He hung up."

"What happened?"

"I don't know. He said that him and Mic are on their way over right now and to not bother getting ready. He sounded really anxious." He said in concern. Then, as an afterthought he added "I still can't get used to that. Aizawa is always calm." He shakes his head, looking dumbfounded.

A knock on the door made me jump, before Shota and Hizashi swung it open, breathing heavily. Shota was the first to compose himself, standing upright and taking a deep breath, clearing his throat. Hizashi straightened his hero jacket, which had hastily been thrown on over a white t-shirt and plaid pajama pants.

"What's going on?" I asked, acutely aware that my teachers- no, parents- were looking at me obviously sharing a bed with Shinso.

"We have bad news." Shota announced, expression grim, while Hizashi's face was devoid of the usual bright smile.

We stay silent, waiting for the news.

"The league of villains set your mother's apartment on fire a few hours ago, everything's gone. Someone reported seeing Dabi and a girl that we think was Toga at the scene."

"We're so sorry Izuku." Hizashi holds his arms out and I lean into him numbly as he wraps them around me.

"W-was anybody hurt?" I think about my neighbors. Fires can spread really fast through apartment buildings.

"A few of them inhaled a bit too much smoke and one has minor burns from saving her cat, but nobody was seriously injured. Your apartment was the only one that was basically incinerated, the others aren't in horrible shape." Shota states.

I nod weakly, lifting my head up to look at him over Hizashi's shoulder.

"That's good."

"Geez kid," Shota laughs softly. "Worry about yourself for once. It's okay to not be thinking about everyone else for a few minutes." He said, reaching out and gently squeezing my shoulder.

"I know. A hero should always look out for others though, right?"

"It's important, yeah, but if you don't worry about yourself then some day something's going to happen to you and then you won't be able to help anyone."

I nod into Hizashi's shoulder.

———

I managed to convince all three of them that I was fine to go to class today, the only thing I really missed from the apartment was the apartment itself, which I was going to have to put behind me at some point anyways.

Shinso and I quietly got ready for classes, and I assume Shota and Hizashi left to do the same. When we went downstairs one of the kids in 1-C asked why Shinso hadn't been in class recently and he just told them he was temporarily transferred to a different class, not even mentioning the hero course.

I wonder if he's planning on being an underground hero. They've always fascinated me because you know they have no hidden motives. They don't get any media attention or huge paychecks; I'm sure Shota makes more off of his teaching job than he does as a pro, though that's none of my business. Shinso's quirk would be better suited for the underground hero field anyways, considering it works best when no one knows about it.

If he were to go that route, the less people knowing about his hero course status the better, even though we're still students. I wonder if he's thinking ahead like that or he just didn't want to talk to his former classmate. Either of the two could totally be plausible, considering how he is.

The thought brings a short lived smile to my face, ending when we step out of the dorms and I see Monoma a few hundred feet in front of us, making his way to the school. That's right, he comes back today. What was he doing out so early? Most students wouldn't start leaving their dorms for another 20 minutes. I grow uneasy as he disappears inside the building, almost feeling more comfortable when he was in my line of sight. Now I couldn't see him, but what if he was watching me?

A shiver ran down my spine as we neared the building.

"H-hey Shinso?" He stopped immediately, probably hearing the waver in my voice. "Did you, um, see Monoma walk into the building a few seconds ago?" Shinso immediately goes on alert, looking towards the front doors in concern.

"No? Did you?" I nod my head weakly.

"That's weird. I was looking at the door the whole time we were walking. If you see him again tell me right away, okay?"

I nod my head again, taking in a deep breath.

"I'm probably just imagining things because I know he's supposed to be back today."

I wish I hadn't missed the look of affection he gave me while he ruffled my hair, the feeling making me melt as a soft blush spread across my cheeks.

We entered the school and Monoma appeared in front of us as if he'd copied a teleportation quirk, sinister smile adorning his face.

I mentally froze up for a moment, but was even further startled when Shinso just kept walking towards him, pushing me along in front.

"Sh-Shin-" Monoma cut me off at the same time Shinso made a questioning noise.

"Ah ah ah~, we can't have him knowing so soon. Tell anyone what I'm doing and I'll make sure the rest of his life is filled with fear and pain." My eyes were wide as he pointed to Shinso behind me.

"What's wrong, huh?" Shinso's voice is soft and quiet, something I would probably be swooning over if it weren't for the fact that we were about to run over Monoma in abpproximately 2 seconds. "Do you need me to call Aizawa-sensei?"

"Remember what I said."

1328 words.