She was never interested in people who liked her for her money or for her name. Alone was what she had, what protected her.

She always wanted to be a good and dutiful daughter. She thought she would get her father's attention back this way, but no matter what she did, he did not seem to care about Joanna. So, her nights became longer, the time she stayed at home was next to none and she learned how to deal with the kind of nightlife she needed to forget for just a few hours.

How to get drinks without paying for them just because it was fun, how to do your makeup to get a guy to take you home for the night, how to say the right words during sex in a club bathroom with a faceless stranger. The last time she had used one of these skills was years ago. She had been in a bad place back then, seemed like she was back in the same place again.

Joanna did everything to get at least some attention, and she enjoyed it while it lasted, before she fell back into the deep void of her brain.

Joanna got hold of the guy's shirt. She felt dizzy and so unsteady, which told her what the stranger had pushed under her tongue.

"Ecstasy. Of course. What did she think, of course, the guy only wanted to fuck her when she was on drugs." She thought bitterly. "Max would never do something like that to me." But Max was out of the picture now.

Nobody was going to come to her rescue in shining armor. If she really wanted to get rescued, she had to do it herself, but she was far too afraid to face her own demons to do so. Joanna could never mention her little problem with drugs to anybody in the paddock without losing her seat and destroying her career. She had to take care of it like every other driver who had a problem. In the winter break.

She lifted her head to look into the mirror as she was pressed against a sink, the stranger keeping up a quick pace to open his shirt and to pull down his pants and boxers. When did they go to the bathroom? A slap echoed through the room and her lips parted to a moan, her stormy grey eyes locking with those of her mirror image. "What are you doing to yourself?"

"Such a good girl. Gonna fuck you real good. Come on, spread your legs for daddy." Even though it was so loud even in the bathroom, she could hear the stranger's voice clearly.

Still staring into the mirror, she started to zone out, only slightly feeling how the stranger opened the zip on her black miniskirt. Instead, her eyes wandered across her face, taking in the destroyed look. The bags beneath her eyes were too dark for the smeared makeup to cover them. Her nude lipstick was smudged, and she had stains from her eyeliner and her mascara around her stormy grey eyes. She looked sweaty and drunk. Her eyes slightly dilated. The golden, slightly curly hair, from which the longer strands were falling into her face no matter how many times she pushed them back again look frizzy. Joanna was such a mess.

Her eyes fluttered shut as the stranger pushed inside, fucking her at a steady pace straight away, moaning over and over again. The Austrian would have rolled her eyes and told him to shut up could she feel her body.

She did not remember who finished first, if she finished at all or how the man pulled out of her, dressing and leaving the bathroom, leaving her alone. She did not know when she sank down onto the ground, her head leaning against the cold pipe of the sink. Her tights were torn, and she only pulled her skirt over her thighs with a lot of weariness. The stranger hadn't even taken it off, just pushed it up.

She only remembered how lonely she had felt, how she enjoyed the cold feeling of the pipe against her heated skin, cooling it down. The next thing that came to her mind was darkness. A welcoming darkness, warm and soft, like a hug from someone who loved her when she was a kid, something she longed for so deeply but would never receive.