24. The Alignment

Cordelia

Cordelia

Wednesday. It had approached far too quickly. And Mattheo and I had not succeeded in finding a compatible object.

"What about the locket?" I suggested. "It's something that belongs to her, so it has a direct connection to her."

"Maybe," Mattheo replied from his bed as he stared up at the ceiling with me sat at the side of his bed, my knees hugged up to my chest. I mindlessly watched a crumpled piece of paper hover in mid-air as my wand continued to twirl between my fingers, keeping the paper up.

"Or the bangle?"

Mattheo sighed deeply, "It wouldn't work. It's already a portkey. Making it into a horcrux as well would overpower it, it wouldn't be able to absorb all the magic." he explained.

"Oh right," I said. The paper fell to the floor as my arm dropped to my side. I heard the rustle of the bedsheets as Mattheo rolled over.

"Hey," he said causing me to turn around. His face was centimetres from mine as he stared into my eyes. "Come here," he said moving over slightly and opening his arms. I got up from the floor and laid down next to him as his arms wrapped around me. He sighed again, "I have an idea... but you're not gonna like it. Fuck you're gonna hate it."

I looked at him with concern, "What is it?" I asked hesitantly.

He paused for a second, but the second felt like a minute. "What if I took her place?"

I stayed quiet, "What do you mean?" I asked but I knew I didn't want the answer.

"We transfer the magic into me. I'll become the Horcrux." He said.

"Mattheo you can't be serious." I said as my heart continued to drop.

"It would work wouldn't it?"

"Yes it would probably work, but I'm not letting you sacrifice yourself."

"We'll figure out a way to kill my father without me dying too,"

"Yes, but what if we can't. What's the point. You're mother would be free but she'd have to live in a world without you. She's only just got you back and she'd be losing you again, for good." I explained my lips starting to shudder towards the end.

"Hey, we will find a way." he tried to reassure me but I felt nothing of reassurance.

"Mattheo, please can we try the locket first?" I whispered, my voice coming out small and frail.