Chapter 64: The stranger

Katherine Pov:

I had no idea where I was even going, my mind was so clouded with anger and hurt that I couldn't even think straight. How could David be so fucking heartless? Don't get me wrong, I was in love with him, I loved the bones of him, but he could be one cruel motherfucker, never to me but usually toward either Marko or Paul.

I continued to walk out of the cave and in to the wooded area behind it, the cool night air a welcoming sensation on my skin, it was a deep contrast to the hot and sometimes humid temperature of the cave. It was nice, having not been out of the cave in a few days it was a well received change. I could hear the crunch of the twigs and leaves under my feet as well as the accompanying sounds of crickets and various other night time animals. As the woods continued to make its sweet night time music I continued on walking further and further, further than I had ever gone before. As I walked more and more no particular destination in mind I could feel the eerie sense that I was being watched. The sensation sent shivers all down my body, my mind signalling that this was time to go back. I turn to walk back to the safety and comfort of the cave before catching something from the corner of my eye that makes me stop dead in my tracks.

A person

A person was standing in the distance, watching.

They were watching me. I could feel my heart pick up significantly as the stranger continued to watch me. I played it cool, continuing to walk at the pace I had been, hoping that they hadn't noticed that I had saw them. I continued to walk, my body rigid and stiff with fear. I walked until I could see the faint glow of the fires from the cave until I plucked up the courage to look back. What I saw sent chills through my body and made my very bones shake.

They had moved.

They had gotten closer, somehow even though I had been walking away from them they had gotten closer. This is when I picked up my pace, consistently looking back only to watch in horror as the person who's identity was masked by the dense woods and the night's atmosphere slowly inched closer and closer to me. Eventually I was running faster than I ever had in my whole life. Those very same twigs and leaves that had bought calmness to me before as they broke under the weight of me were now terrifying me as the person had gotten close enough so that I could hear them snap and crunch under their feet. I turn my head to sneak a final peak and my heart stops at what I see. Nothing. There was nothing there.

I take a step before turning my head back only to collide with someone.

"AHHHH!" I feel the scream be ripped out of me, adrenaline coursing through my veins I close my eyes and swing with my fist. The person catches my fist.

"Sweetheart? What are you doing?" I feel myself relax as I hear Marko's sweet voice ring through my ears.

"We're you running?? You're all hot and out of breath....If you wanted exercise you should've just said." I can hear the jokey tone in his voice as I stand there completely gob smacked.

"What?" He asks sheepishly and i just hug him as I can before I hear another voice.

"Is everything okay?" Paul asks, walking up the rickety old stairs leading down to the cave.

"I think she wasn't looking where she was going and bumped in to me.... I just scared her is all." I hear Marko say as he runs his fingers through my hair, trying to soothe me before I push away from him.

"No!"

Paul raises an eyebrow and Marko looks at him before looking back at me with concern written on his face.

"No?" He repeats, the questioning tone lingering in his voice.

"Th-There was someone..... they were...." I struggle with my words, still out of breath and the fear finally setting in and my adrenaline running out.

"What do you mean Kitty? Just calm down and speak....." Paul says gently, grasping my hand in his and giving a reassuring squeeze. It takes me a moment to Rabin my composure before I speak.

"I was walking and then... then I saw someone.... They-They were watching me. I tried to leave but the followed me. I-I ran a-and they ran. Th-th-they almost g-got me P-Paul." I manage to choke out belge being reduced to a ball of tears and panic, the anxiety of it all finally settling in.

Before I know it Paul has pulled me in to a protectively right embrace that almost hurts and I feel the deep rumble of his voice in his chest as he speaks. "Marko Go!" He half shouts before I see Marko nod before his angelic face turns in to something demonic and he speeds off in the direction I had came from. I look up at Paul, my cheeks tear stained and my eyes all swollen and red before he quickly scoops me up in to his arms, bridal style, and walks down the steps with ease, whispering words of comfort in to my ears.

"You're safe."

"No one will ever hurt you."

"I wouldn't have let them got you."

"I will protect you Kitty, with my life."

"With my life."

((What's up my losters?! I tried my hand at writing something a little more scarier, what did you think?! I know I said last chapter that y'all were gonna get some Paul love but this chapter is already long enough 😅😅 so I PROMISE that next chapter will have some Paul love (and a little bit on the side for Marko.) anyways, who do you think the person is?? Why were they watching Katherine?? Why did they chase her??? Let me know your thoughts!))