Chapter 4 - thank you

Rylee's POV

By the time I've gotten the bullet out of the top of Jaxton's foot he's asleep. I spent two hours trying my hardest to clean up the blood, rinse and then clean his foot. And now, after finding surgery tools and stitches I've gotten the bullet out. I don't know much of what I'm doing but it looks better than before and thankfully the bullet was tiny enough that I know it'll heal with proper care.

I don't even know him and he had me worried for him. But I just know he won't hurt me because he's asleep, he's left his big house to a stranger that could rob him but he's sleeping. I start stitching the top of his foot and the numbing spray must start wearing off as he wakes up and sees me sitting in a chair with his foot propped up on the side table since he doesn't fit on the couch with his long frame.

"Feel better?" I immediately ask while stitching the backside of his foot together. I'll do the top in a minute or so but the bottom was the worst and I don't want him to see it.

"How long have you been here? Helping me?" He asks as I sigh. "Two hours. I'm almost done, you needed stitching." I tell him as he stays still and nods.

"Thank you." He tells me as I smile. "Of course. You'd bleed to death if it wasn't for me finding you. Drink some water, I've mixed in some salt and sugar dissolve into it so it's almost like an IV, it'll give you some fluids." I tell him as he nods. He reaches behind him and takes it as he drinks it back. I could have started him an IV but I didn't have the proper items for it so he's got to drink it. He's luckily he didn't need a blood transfusion.

I finish stitching the bottom before going to the top of it as my phone starts ringing in my gray jacket pocket laying across the side of the couch. He reaches for it before I can stop him and reads it.

"Who's Jacob?" He asks as he holds it. "My boyfriend just decline it and I'll call him later." I tell him honestly as he laughs.

"What?" I ask as he smiles. He must not be in too much pain anymore to be smiling.

"Decline your boyfriend? He must be in trouble." He tells me as I laugh. "Something like that." I agree as I continue stitching.

"Tell me." He demands as I laugh. "Nope. Not a stranger." I tell him back as he smiles.

"We aren't strangers anymore. Come on tell me." He demands as I sigh. I look at him as the phone goes off again and he declines the call for me.

"Fine. We've been dating for four years, and we live together. He works at the hospital as well, and even though we're happy he's got student loans to pay back. So we're both working full time to try and pay them off quicker." I tell him as he nods.

"But?" He asks as I laugh and stitch his foot. "But he spent four hundred dollars on Braves tickets for tonight. I know I sound crazy but I was just hoping he was saving money separately to buy me an engagement ring. We've been together forever and I want to get engaged sooner rather than later. He kept asking why I was salty during the game and I finally told him. But I was so angry I got out the car and started walking home. I guess I didn't expect him to shut up and leave me on the side of the street." I tell Jaxton as he sits quietly.

"There all done." I reply as I finish stitching his foot.

"Ry?" He asks as I look up at him. The only person that calls me Ry is my dad and I haven't spoken to him a month or so. But him calling me Ry is something I kind of like, I like hearing it coming out of his mouth.

"Thank you." He tells me as I nod. "Of course. You already told me." I tell him as he nods. "I know but I'm so thankful for you being there." He tells me as I smile.