Ch.17 New beginning

Naruto was back standing in front of the door to his home. His eyebrows furrowed, his lips bound together as if he didn't want to let out a single thought, and his eyes focusing on the door. Reaching out for the doorknob was difficult since he was quite nervous. So nervous that Naruto has been standing there for around two minutes but it felt like hours. He didn't know what to expect when he goes in. The blonde thought back to last night and looking back at Shikamaru who was in shambles. Naruto was worried. 'I shouldn't have left him like that.' He regretted it.

It was mid day. There was light shower of rain in the morning and the smell of spring dew calmed his nerves.

Naruto had to confront this. He at least has to know if Shikamaru's okay.

He takes out his key and inserts it. He took a deep breathe before opening the door.

Naruto walks in keeping his eyes on the ground. He goes to close the door behind him and locks it.

"I'm home." He calls out.

"Welcome back."

Naruto's eyes widen as he turns around. He didn't exactly expect a response from the Nara but he was glad that he received one. He searched for Shikamaru and spots him in the living room. His hair was wet and dripping on the floor. He must have recently token a shower.

Naruto took of his shoes and walked to the living room.

The house was clean.

Everything was organized and in its place. Naruto paused for a second. And he walked around the coffee table and sat next Shikamaru. Shikamaru was surprised.

He thought Naruto would have sat on the other seat. 

There was silence, they didn't know what to say or how to start.

The blonde watched as the water drip from his hair one drop at a time. It started to get on the blonde's nerve.

"You should have dried your hair properly otherwise you're going to catch a cold." Naruto huffed and snatched the towel that was draped over the back of the couch. He turned Shikamaru's head and he obediently turned towards the blonde. Naruto dried his hair.

Naruto didn't get to look him in the eye with the towel and hair covering his eyes.

All of a sudden Shikamaru gently held Naruto's wrist. Naruto stopped.

"I'm sorry." Shikamaru spoke softly. 

Naruto slowly put his hands down. The Nara didn't let go of his wrist. He just lightly held on afraid the blonde might leave again.

"I didn't mean that. I don't think you're a monster. You are the the person I love the most. You're so important to me. What I said..." his words staggered.

Shikamaru began to lightly shake. He wanted to keep himself composed as long as he could but just couldn't. Even though his hair was mostly dry, drops of water fell onto the couch and on their hands. Naruto knew well enough that those weren't just drops of water from his wet hair

Naruto brought his other hand to his cheek. "Shika..."

"I'm so sorry Naru. I didn't mean it at all. I was being a bitch and I just said things that would hurt you, but I promise it's not true at all. I didn't mean any of it, I swear."

Never had he seen Shikamaru in such a state. Then he thought back to last night. The was he was on the floor...the thought of it brought tears to his eyes. He also didn't want to hurt him like that. The feeling was mutual. He wondered if this relationship was good for them or not. Maybe if they weren't together then things would have been better. Maybe...