Chapter 49 - Proposal

Start from the beginning

We went on with our morning as any other, joining up with Race and Romeo. They had already started to spread the word about us leaving, so the second we got to the square we had to answer a million questions from the fellas. Thankfully, they mostly directed their questions at Jack, not making me talk any more than I had to. I couldn't stop smiling the entire morning, my mind wandering as I thought about how close Jack and I were to escaping everything. 

To my surprise, Oscar kept his mouth shut today, allowing me to relax a bit more. We went on selling as normal, Jack and I meeting back up at the bottom of the ladder just like every other day. He stood up and met me halfway once he saw me, a smile on his face.

"How're you?" He asked, his voice quiet as usual.

"I'm good," he studied me for a moment to make sure I wasn't lying, brushing my hair from my face.

"No trouble from your hand or foot?" I shook my head, happy I could give him some good news. "C'mon, I got us some dinner."

We walked back to the bottom of the ladder and sat down, eating as we enjoyed each other's company. After we had finished eating Jack began to sketch, and I watched as I rested my head on his chest. At some point, I fell asleep, feeling fully relaxed. I was nudged awake by Jack some time later, looking up at him.

"Hm..?" I rubbed my eyes, smiling. "Sorry, didn't mean to fall asleep," I added, resting my head again.

"You ain't have to apologize." He smiled back at me, setting his sketch down. "Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?" I couldn't help but giggle a little, my face likely bright red. "I wanna show you something." I got up as did Jack, a smirk on his face. "Follow me."

I did as he said, having no idea what he could have planned. He kept quiet as we walked, looking back at me every now and then. We went into the lodging house, and the moment he opened the door I noticed the lights were off, candles in rows on the ground creating a pathway. He walked down the pathway without looking at me, so I followed without question. I hadn't even noticed I was smiling, my heart pounding. We got to the end of the candles and Jack stopped, facing me. He took a deep, shaky breath, his face just as red as mine likely was.

"Crutchie," he began, and my heart skipped a beat once I realized what was happening. "I know most people have to be together for years before they know. But, I knew since the moment we started dating that I never wanted to leave your side, even if your brain insisted I did." We both chuckled a little, and Jack had to take another deep breath. "I feel... So incredibly lucky that I get to be the person who shows you how great life can be. That I get to be the one who shows you what love is, that you're a wonderful person, that you're all these incredible things that you never thought you were." He then teared up a bit, glancing at the ground for a moment. "But most of all, I feel lucky that I met you." I felt a tear stream down my face, not having realized I was also tearing up. "I never would've started to heal if it wasn't for you. Sure, Medda helped me, but you've done more for me than anyone ever has. You are the most amazing person I have ever met in my life, and I never want to lose you. So, that's why..." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box, my heart now beating out of my chest. "I love you so, so much." He finally kneeled down, the tears that were in his eyes finally falling.

"Oh my god," I whispered in disbelief, wondering if I was dreaming.

"Crutchie..." Slowly, he opened the box, a bronze ring resting inside. "Will you marry me?"

"Oh my god," I repeated, making him chuckle. "Yes, yes of course I will," I managed to get out, and Jack immediately got up and pulled me in against him. 

"I love you," I looked up at him, my heart still pounding.

"I love you too- holy shit I feel like I'm dreaming," I said, making him laugh some more.